Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Okay, I officially feel crazy now due to Hypochondria  (Read 125 times)

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Okay, I officially feel crazy now due to Hypochondria
« on: May 23, 2014, 07:59:07 PM »
So today, I was on my way home and I was at a stop light listening to "Man in the Mirror" (still love this song). Anyways, I am jamming to Micheal when all of the sudden the sound goes quieter. Song is still playing, but softer for like maybe 5-10 seconds, and then goes right back up.

Now rationally, this could be one of a couple things. 1) The radio station might have gone wonky 2) Perhaps the power in the car was acting up and caused the radio to soften.

But what do I go to? Something must be wrong with my hearing. About a month ago, I was talking to my husband, but everything sounds more fuzzy/quiet for about 30 seconds. I remember I was really freaked out by it, but I, in a moment of normalcy, just moved on and it never happened again.

Now, I have this happen today. Now, this didn't seem like it was exactly the same and it seems like it was probably the car. Nothing was fuzzy, just quieter, and it was so quick it's not like I could have said anything out loud to confirm it was the radio and not my hearing. But as much as I am telling myself the rational stuff, the stuff that it probably is 99.9% is, the back of my mind keeps taunting me with, "But what if it is your hearing? You did have that funky hearing thing a few weeks back and now this? It can't be a coincidence. Google it. WebMD it. Find out what it could possibly be. You could have something awful and here you are just trying to ignore it."

I hate Hypochondria. I hate that it make me focus on that .01% even when something is not rational. I have never heard of anyone having cancer or some awful disease and one of the systems is your hearing randomly coming and going, but yet here I am, convinced that is the case.

So now I know I am going to spend all of Memorial Day weekend obsessing about it. Sigh. Why me?
Bookmark and Share

Online jilllayy

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Okay, I officially feel crazy now due to Hypochondria
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »
possibly tinnitus and also a symptom of anxiety. happens to me almost once a day actually. my hearing will randomly muffle out of nowhere for a few seconds or i will get the loud ringing in my ears that slowly go away after 30 seconds as well
Bookmark and Share

Offline simoliz03

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:20:05 AM »
  I would agree too.  You can get your ears checked if it still worries or bothers you.  Please do enjoy memorial week and day. Summer is comming! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »
Is it a new car perhaps?  Only asking because when I got a new car a couple of years ago the same thing would happen - radio fine until I get to a stop light then it got real low.  Freaked me out till i discovered that it was a "feature" which was supposed to compensate for the noise while the car was driving so the radio wouldn't be too loud when you came to a stop - lol  Of all the useless things they could program into a car!  I turned it off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
You sound like me!   My daughter and I went for a walk around a lake and in the lake was one of those water fountains that make the noise a water fountain makes when spraying up and back into the water... well all of a sudden the sound got sort of muffled and scared me!  Then I realized what happened, my daughter and I weren't walking perfectly together and at one point her head was even with my ear, thus blocking out a portion of the sound when her head came between my ear and the fountain!  So there are MANY things that could cause that.  And all that had to happen was the engineer at the radio station saw that the sound was going too far into the area where it may get distorted and he lowered it too fast, then realized he lowered it too much and put it back to normal.
Also I do get weird things, like my hearing will feel muffled for a few seconds, then when it starts going back to normal there'll be a humming noise.  Just wax shifting. (but that was different than the fountain thing because I can actually "feel" it in my ear somehow when that happens)
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:16:41 AM »
Thanks guys! I can always count on you to make me feel better.  :yes: :yes: :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: