Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: HELP, having a panic attack now!  (Read 594 times)

Offline sarahjxde

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: HELP, having a panic attack now!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »
I'm sorry you don't think the Zoloft is working yet. Tomorrow will be my 7th week on prozac. My dose is still low, only 20mg, but I do feel like it's helping. I'm not feeling normal yet, but I'm better than I was and I had a three week period where I did feel great.

Have you read the book When Panic Attacks, by David Burns?
I'm glad that you feel that the Prozac is workin. It's so annoying having to find the right medication. No I havent, is it good? I recently ordered the anxiety and phobia workbook because it has good reviews. I haven't received it yet though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 04:25:23 PM »
Yeah, but with the prozac it's hard to tell if it's working, or if I'm just getting better over time, or what. Recovery from this stuff is so gradual, it's hard to tell if it's working, or even if you're getting better until weeks have gone by. But I do feel like this is temporary.

I never got entirely through the book because as I read it I got over the panic. But flipping through it just now I realize I should probably go through it. And if you get it, buy the paper version, not the kindle version. There's pages you make copies of and write stuff down in.

The thing I don't like about those books, but which I understand is the best way, is the exposure work you have to do. You have to delve into your triggers and confront them. It's like treating cancer by filling your body with cancer. But it works.

There was another online panic treatment I saw that was based on learning to let the panic happen, in fact you try and make it worse. Apparently it works for a lot of people, but I never had the guts to try it.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline sarahjxde

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 04:33:55 PM »
Yeah, but with the prozac it's hard to tell if it's working, or if I'm just getting better over time, or what. Recovery from this stuff is so gradual, it's hard to tell if it's working, or even if you're getting better until weeks have gone by. But I do feel like this is temporary.

I never got entirely through the book because as I read it I got over the panic. But flipping through it just now I realize I should probably go through it. And if you get it, buy the paper version, not the kindle version. There's pages you make copies of and write stuff down in.

The thing I don't like about those books, but which I understand is the best way, is the exposure work you have to do. You have to delve into your triggers and confront them. It's like treating cancer by filling your body with cancer. But it works.

There was another online panic treatment I saw that was based on learning to let the panic happen, in fact you try and make it worse. Apparently it works for a lot of people, but I never had the guts to try it.
yeah that's what I think when it comes to medicines. I had taken 2 xanax one time and I had the urge to drove and I did with no panic which the I wondered if it was me who was gettin better or was it the xanax talking. I'll definitely get tht book, anything to get my life back together.
And I agree that I dont have the guts to do that's as well. Like When people feel an attack comin on, they tell the attack to bring it on. My mind is so attached to the panic that I couldn't  Do that
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 12:10:20 AM »
Xanax is something I've never had. I have it as a mythical happy pill. But I know if I ever take it, I'll just want it all the time.
I was so disappointed to learn how long the prozac took to work, followed by the worst statement someone can say, "if it does work." I'm fortunate to have a pdoc I really like who really knows his stuff. How much longer are they going to give the Zoloft? The good news is that even if it doesn't work, you've got a lot of options and the meds will get sorted out. And until then you can get these books and workbooks and make progress. None of this lasts forever, but it sure feels like it does.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline sarahjxde

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Xanax is something I've never had. I have it as a mythical happy pill. But I know if I ever take it, I'll just want it all the time.
I was so disappointed to learn how long the prozac took to work, followed by the worst statement someone can say, "if it does work." I'm fortunate to have a pdoc I really like who really knows his stuff. How much longer are they going to give the Zoloft? The good news is that even if it doesn't work, you've got a lot of options and the meds will get sorted out. And until then you can get these books and workbooks and make progress. None of this lasts forever, but it sure feels like it does.

yeah it all depends on the person who's taking the xanax. i don't feel like i need to take it all the time, only when i know I'm going to be going into a stressful situation or if i'm feeling anxious and/or had panic attack.
i actually went to my nurse practioner today and she put me on prozac. i told her that zoloft gives me an headache literally headache, so she is having me start on 10 mg of prozac, hoping it works!
i just received my workbook so I'm going to start reading that soon.
i hope the prozac works well for both of us!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: