Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Can prolonged anxiety cause severe mental illness?  (Read 104 times)

Offline Jonnysmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can prolonged anxiety cause severe mental illness?
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
I am suffering severe mental illness currently due to a bout of anxiety, I am confined to the house because things are so bad. I literally am at the lowest point of my life. Is their any treatment like medication that can clear up irrational thoughts or thinking? Or am i stuck like this forever how do i shrug these extreme unusual thoughts of am I alive or this world doesnt feel real?
Bookmark and Share

Offline fjcfjc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can prolonged anxiety cause severe mental illness?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
Hey,

I too worry about that my anxiety could lead to a mental illness. I just need to stop worrying. what kind of mental illness are your worried of getting?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
Intrusive thoughts are a classic ocd symptom...not a "severe" mental illness by any means and quite treatable.  There are lots of medical and therapy options that you can discuss with your psych doc that may help to relieve your symptoms.  You don't have to feel like this forever and you are not alone.  Now call your doc!  Good luck and hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:54:13 AM »
Thanks for your responses. My thoughts are so intrusive  that I feel like I have already gone mental. I cant seem to shrug of these strangest thoughts of that life doesnt feel real and things like how was I born and my memory is horrendous. I don't have thoughts about ***** but I its the strangest feelings I cant explain these thoughts or feelings and I dont know how medication or therapy could ever turn these feelings around and get back to how I was. I think this could send me to hospitalisation and end up with me dying as I have gone too far with my thoughts. How does medication change your thinking/feelings? I wish the brain wasnt so powerful
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 05:37:55 PM »
What you are going through now, a lot of people have done in their lives. A few weeks ago, due to suffering from severe insomnia, I was starting to have irrational thoughts just like you; "What if even the strongest medication cannot calm me down and send me to sleep?", "What if my anxiety gets so bad that nothing can help me?", "What if I end up in a mental institution", "I may never get a girlfriend or have a family" - all these are common thoughts that I have.

I have also had suicidal thoughts. They are not nice. I think what you are experiencing right now is a severely derealisation episode due to anxiety. You may feel like the world around you is not real - or the world may appear differently to you than what it did before your anxiety. This may be causing you more anxiety feelings. The thought of never being able to overcome it.

You need to understand that thinking that it may never get better, is certainly not a step towards getting better. Try and remind yourself that it will pass. Reading about other peoples experience will help (at least it helped with me). Understand that there are many others out there who are in the exact same boat as you - and there are very likely many more people who are suffering to a greater extent than you.

Honestly, hard times do pass. If they haven't, you are still currently in those hard times. And just because you are still suffering, this does not mean it will never pass. I think you know deep down that these undesirable manifestations are entirely the result of mere thoughts. But as you know, those thoughts can manifest in the craziest ways. This is a good sign. Thinking that you are mental or going mental is actually a sign of sanity. You just need to remember that you will certainly not be like this forever.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: