Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Breast lump - 2nd doc appt  (Read 838 times)

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Breast lump - 2nd doc appt
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »
Hey Superstressed - I hope my story helps ... I found a lump right after giving birth to my second - like while I was in the hospital.  I nursed so I worked with a lactation consultant who felt the lump and told me to wait until my 6 week appt - that it was probably nursing related.  My son was in the NICU for a week and an ob from my practice would come and go.  So me, the HA person, decides to mention this to the ob (not the ob I prefer to see, but she is in my practice).  Did NOT feel it.  Simply ordered an US.  Of course, HA person I am, gets the US done after my son was released from the NICU, and I get a call telling me I need a biopsy.  I freak out.  The ob goes on to explain that since my mom had breast cancer (in 1998 and is alive and well), I am recommended for a biopsy even though the US looks like a fibroadenoma.  Still I am completely freaked out - that is an understatement!  I get the biopsy done.  Breast surgeon walks in and says "saw the US - everything looks good - this is simply precautionary" - precautionary with a whole crazy amount of stress!  Came back as a fibroadenoma.  Went in to see my ob at my 6 week appt.  The lump is COMPLETELY gone!!!  I do not have it.  Had I waited and listened to the lac consultant .... That was 3.5 years ago - last summer I had a similar experience to you.  Felt some pain.  Felt around.  Felt a lump which did not feel moveable.  Went to my primary care dr who is completely in the know and understanding of my anxiety (was scared to see my ob due to the story I just told).  she felt it.  It was extremely sore- this was maybe a week before my period - said it feels like a cyst.  Don't worry about it.  Cut back on caffeine and come in for a recheck after my period completely stops.  (my pc is not one to jump into testing - and I like that).  Ok - so I am still freaked out.  I checked it every so often - even 2 days before my cycle was due to end - and I still felt it.  Go in for the recheck - all is well.  she has me feel it - all is well - all I feel is breast tissue.  had my yearly ob appt this past feb and shared the story with him.  He was totally unconcerned.  Felt nothing (had the appt after my cycle ended).  Said not to worry about the caffeine, the pain and lumpiness just happens with women.  It is ok.  Not going to hurt you.  Both he and my pc told me to ONLY check my breasts after my period. 

Point of all of this - I hope this brings some comfort.  Drs are often quick to test often going overboard.  A dr can feel quickly if it is truly bad or not.  Lumpy, cystic, painful breasts are common and ok.  and there was another poster in this thread who mentioned about the more she feels them and feels things and gets them checked out, the more the drs run tests ... it is true.  Check them once a month.  I am very sure this is nothing more than annoying cyclical cyst stuff.  Hang in there!  Hope this helped.
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline superstressed

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My appointment with the general surgeon is tomorrow.  I AM TERRIFIED.  I called the office to ask what I might expect and was told it would likely be a consultation however, with breast lumps things should move rather quickly, i.e. further tests.  My lump has not decreased/gone away and now I have felt another lump on the bottom side of the same breast.   Both lumps are larger than 2cm and I also have pain in my nipple area that comes and goes.  As you can imagine I haven't slept much lately and I'm coasting through work and I have such a short temper with my kids and husband.  All this wondering and waiting is like a bad nightmare and to add to my worries I also have pain in my ribs under my breast which I am telling myself is from all the anxiety I am experiencing.  I am praying this is a fibrocystic issue but I really am expecting bad news.  I am so sad, upset and paralyzed with fear.  I know HA is an awful affliction but I defy anyone to tell me they wouldn't be as worried if they were in my situation.  Prayers and good vibes please folks.  I will update after Dr. appt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline catrinrode

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 12:51:06 AM »
Hi superstressed.

I so know how you feel. You read my posts and know that I had the exact same paralyzing fear - and all was good.
In the meantime, - I am a scientist and look at data - I researched all the data on BC I could find. So even though I am sure everything is going to be fine with you (there are cysts, fibroadenomas and swollen lymph nodes - all of which are very common causes for lumps), I want to mention a few things:
1. The radiologist who looked at my images said, when I asked him if 2cm (which was the size of my lump) was still in the "small" range: "You know, BC is not a major killer any more. Only the women with large lumps which they have had for years die from it".
2. They also said that they biopsy a LOT of lumps even though they know it's benign. So if the surgeon wants to biopsy, don't take that as a cue that it's bad.

You will be ok!

Bookmark and Share

Offline mroussa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:05 PM »
How did it go today??
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 10:42:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

So I wanted to let you know I saw the surgeon today and he immediately put me at ease - sort of.  He asked me a little about what brought me to his office and where I was feeling the lumps.  He felt exactly what I felt, and remarked one was smaller than the other.  After the exam he said he thought because they were lobular they were very likely to be fibroadenomas and they had likely increased in size lately which may have caused the pain I have been experiencing.  I asked if it was possible they were missed on my most recent mammogram (April 10, 2014) and he confirmed my fears that mammograms are not always 100% especially for people like me who have dense breast tissue.  He said he would order an ultrasound and we would take it from there, he expects the ultrasound to confirm his expectation of fibroadenoma.  Who knows, I guess I feel better "mentally" than I did 24 hrs ago but now I have a painful lump in the middle of my chest (between both breasts but more to the left). Less stressed but functioning.....hope you are all well out there tonight. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 04:50:51 AM »
Hey Superstressed,
I bet your doc is right. He knows what he is feeling, if he was concerned I feel like he would have ordered a biopsy straight away. Good luck for the U/S, I feel like you are going to be just fine and your docs prediction will be confirmed. Sending you a big hug, I know you have been on a major anxiety roller-coaster the past few days, but everything will be ok.
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
Thanks Nole and everyone for the well wishes.  I truly hope all of this turns out to be a benign issue but in the meantime it sure does help reading other peoples stories and words of encouragement.  This website is the only one I will allow myself to view as surfing the internet, as we all know, leads to more panic and anxiety.  I have the ultrasound scheduled for Monday morning, I will send updates after that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I had the breast ultrasound done today, I was even able to hold myself together while I waited for the radiologist to come into the room after viewing the images and she said the lumps are cysts.  I am relieved and exhausted all at the same time but obviously very happy.  I will resume doing breast checks more frequently (something I always avoided) so I can become more familiar with changes.  Thanks to all if you for your support.  I will have to accept lumpy breasts are my new reality.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »
That is fantastic news! Now time to take a deep breath and let the anxiety leave your body. So glad to hear that all is ok :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 12:46:56 AM »
Thanks Nole!! Hope all is well with you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: