Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Breast lump - 2nd doc appt  (Read 981 times)

Offline superstressed

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Breast lump - 2nd doc appt
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:58:41 AM »
Hi,

I recently had a clear mammogram and I realize they are not 100% accurate but I put that yearly task out of my mind (I dread mammograms since I had a call back 2 years ago). A few weeks later I felt a throbbing in my left breast, sometimes it felt like intermittent darting and so I felt around and discovered a lump.  I tried very hard not to panic and I made an appt. to see my Obgyn.  My reg. Dr. was not in the office but they were able to fit me in to see his colleague.  The Dr. felt the lump I did and he also did a breast check but he said he wasn't too concerned and to "watch and wait".  Well, it's been a week and I couldn't put it out of my head and so I called the Dr.'s office again, this time I get to see my reg. Dr. and the appt. is this morning but I am falling apart with worry.  It didn't help to read about a celebrity who also had a clear mammogram and later discovered a lump who just had a double mastectomy.  I always look for symmetry when I find lumps/bumps in my breast but this is unlike anything else  - as far as "moveable" I'm just not sure if it is or not.  I am so panicked and absolutely terrified, I think of my two kids and husband and just want to cry.  The anxiety is paralyzing, looking for words of encouragement!
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
Re: Breast lump - 2nd doc appt
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:07 AM »
I'm so sorry you're going through this anxiety. Just try and remember that the majority of breast lumps are benign. As you have recently had a clear mammogram the chances of this being sinister are very low. I know they are not 100% accurate - but to not pick up a palpable lump seems highly unlikely. Hang in there, see what your regular doc says, try not to catastrophize (easier said than done I know!) you're going to be just fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »
Thanks Nole,  I wax & wain on the anxiety.  I had been so good for so long however, leading up to the annual mammogram I did get that pit in my stomach dreading the appt.  Hopefully all will be well, I will check in later & let you know.

Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
So I just came from the Dr's office and my obgyn also agreed he felt what I was feeling.  I am due my period any day now so his advice was to wait a week after my period and check again, if the lump is still there he will refer me to surgeon.  He tried to assure  me the chances of it being anything "evil" are low but understands my concerns.

I'm not sure what is holding me together right now....I feel like i should be freaking out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mroussa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:55:01 AM »
My period has brought on SO many new lumps this month! Maybe it's always like that & I just haven't been doing 5-6 self exams a day like I have been doing the past 2 weeks.

You know what's holding you together right now? Your common sense. The part of you that KNOWS you are going to be ok.  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
Thanks Mroussa,

Luckily I have a busy weekend scheduled with family stuff and kids sports so I won't have much time to dwell on this.  I try not to think catastrophically but it is hard....and if I do go there I have to believe it has been detected soon so will be easier to treat.  BC has always been a concern of mine so much that I rarely perform breast exams on myself because it freaks me out!!  I'm 42 and I'm telling myself my body is changing and this will be nothing like all the other times I worried about my health.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mroussa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »
I hear ya! For the last 2 years I have been afraid of BC that when I take showers, I VERY QUICKLY wash my chest & move on. I dread it bc I just know something sinister will be found.

I too have a very busy 3-day weekend that I am PRAYING takes my mind off of this stuff.

I hope you have a great weekend!

(you are fine!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline catrinrode

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
Ladies,
I feel your pain.  I am already a step ahead of you. Had a biopsy today. I am a wreck...
I felt a couple of lumps - I have cystic breasts - and told my doc. She felt them too and of course sends me for imaging. They always send you for imaging. The mammo showed nothing, the ultrasound a normal cyst (fluid filled) and one solid cyst, which freaked me out of course. The radiologist orders a biopsy because they can't tell for sure and my worst nightmare (or second worst nightmare - the worst nightmare is getting a bad result) becomes true. I went in for reassurance and left in panic.
So today was the biopsy, which was a piece of cake. I don't mind procedures, just the waiting is unbearable for me. I will have to wait until  Tuesday.
We just have to keep telling ourselves that even if it is bc, it is not a death sentence.

Good luck,   
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:20:33 AM »
The throbbing pain as well as the lump can both be explained by pms. Hang in there. You should feel reassured by the recent clear mammogram and the fact that you are due for your period.
I agree with you all BC is super scary - I think because it's one of those things that ppl are often fund raising for and it's in the media and stuff. But you have to remember that just because we hear about it more than other Cs, it does NOT make it common, it is still rare compared to other breast lump causes.
I'm sending lots of positive vibes your way!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »
Hi Catrinrode,

What a stressful time it must be for you, I am sure biopsy will be negative but here is nothing worse than waiting.  I am three days out from the start of my period and I am thinking/hoping my lump is smaller but it is most definitely still there.  I will wait a week as my Dr. suggested but will follow up with him then. Thank you for all your good wishes and vibes, I will keep you all updated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline catrinrode

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
update - Re: Breast lump - 2nd doc appt
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 01:39:05 AM »
Hi,

here is my biopsy update if anyone cares:
Benign! And I am relieved of course.
After a day of decompressing I am thinking again how I bring these things on to myself. I check my breasts all the time. Since they are cystic, chances are I find "new" lumps. As soon as I find a lump I run to my doctor who of course sends me for imaging. That's a responsible thing to do, since no one can tell for sure. Then chances are that they will see something that is not 100% benign and do biopsies. So if I keep checking my breasts like a crazy person, the odds are that I will have to go through this ordeal over and over again.
Where is the balance between being responsible and taking care of  yourself and self- inflicting more and more tests?
Ugh, it's complicated.

Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 04:40:55 AM »
Glad to hear the results are good!
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 05:35:57 AM »
I'm so relieved for you! But I do agree 100% that if you keep checking you will keep finding and the anxiety cycle will continue. I'm a culprit of this too, as I suspect most of us here are. It's so hard to break bad habits and not to feed our anxiety. Anyway, just enjoy the relief that you are healthy! Great news.
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 09:14:12 AM »
Hi Catrinrode,

Of course we care and I am so very happy for you!!  Kick back and do something fun :)  I have my appt. with the surgeon on Wed and I am not sure if it will be a consult of if he will do a biopsy at that time, in the meantime your post has helped be in knowing there a lot of women out there experiencing anxiety from breast lumps which turn out to be nothing....but I still have my ups and downs with doubt and fear.   I will keep you posted and let you know how things work out for me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline superstressed

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
Okay, high anxiety has kicked in and I am a blubbering mess......the breast lump still feels hard, not rubbery and it is at least 2cm wide.  My thoughts are all catastrophic and thinking I am going to receive bad news at the surgeons office next Wed.  I've been bottling up my fears because I don't want my kids to worry and although my hubby is FANTASTIC his reassurance that "everything will be okay" only lasts so long.  It's going to be a long wait till Wed...  Really hope everyone is doing much better than I am tonight :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: