Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

Heart palpitations at night?

Offline AthenaNY

• Personal text
Heart palpitations at night?
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »
Has anyone else had this?  For the past few days, just as I am falling asleep I suddenly feel like my heart is pounding and I gasp for air.  It jolts me awake and I can feel adrenaline course through me.  It only happens as I am falling asleep at night.  Once I am asleep, if I wake up and fall back to sleep, it doesn't happen.  (Like if I am dozing in the morning before my alarm clock.)

My husband thinks it is just anxiety and he is probably right, but it happens when I have no conscious anxiety on my mind.  It is ONLY as I am literally falling asleep.  That exact moment.  Has this happened to any of you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline WhatsUp204

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
Re: Heart palpitations at night?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
This is exactly what happened to me, over about 4 months it's became worse so I drink alcohol before bed every night to make it stop. It happens during the day too now and I've had 2 panic attacks over it, once in the morning and once in the middle of work so I'm making an appointment to see my doctor next week.

You can read my post I made about it if you want: http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,88483.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Personal text
Re: Heart palpitations at night?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:04:58 AM »
That sounds like a harmless arrhythmia. I get premature atrial contractions (PACs) sometimes, usually at night when my heart rate slows down and I'm about to fall asleep. It feels like a pause followed by a "thud" and it continues in that pattern for about every second or third beat. Sometimes I also get a big fluttery "thud" out of nowhere that happens only once and then it's gone. It can be scary, but again, not dangerous.
Bookmark and Share