Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Moving from 10mg to 15 mg. of Lexapro - difficult side effects?  (Read 374 times)

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My p-doc moved me from 10mg of Lexapro to 15mg because I was still having significant anxiety even after months on 10mgs, which I will say worked great for some kinds of anxiety but not for others. I have been on 15mg for two weeks now and I am having increased anxiety, really bad dry mouth and super sleepy.  But somewhere underneath the bad feelings I am hopeful so I am sticking with the dose. Which means it must be doing something positive because normally I am the queen of hopelessness.

Just wanted to hear if anyone else had the same issues increasing dose? How long does it take to go away?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Moving from 10mg to 15 mg. of Lexapro - difficult side effects?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
Just wanted to hear if anyone else had the same issues increasing dose? How long does it take to go away?

An increase in side-effects, particularly heightened anxiety, is a common response when antidepressant doses are raised. They usually diminish within a week or two.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
I think the side effects will go away too. Especially since today was different than yesterday.  Trying to stay hopeful!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:25:55 AM »
Still on the topic of 10mg to 15mg - sort of feeling like writing something about it so here we go. Having the best sleep and needing to take less Klonopin but feeling a little depressed today. I had sad dreams though so I woke up feeling depressed.  But I am hopeful because last night I didn't dive for the wine. We still had some (it's Friday!) but I really didn't "need" it.  I was also able to go to the store across the street to get an ingredient I forgot while making dinner without too much mental discomfort so maybe (hopeful!!) helping with agoraphobia. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 05:54:16 AM »
June update! 15mg of Lexapro proved to be too much medication for me.  My dry mouth was like the Sahara desert and I became a little over medicated. So last week I cut back down to 10mg and I am starting to feel a bit better. I just miss the blissful sleep of 15mg. Seriously I could log in 10 hours a night! But also going up to 15mg made me realize that although I " felt" less anxiety, my negative thinking was still there. Starting with a new female therapist next week. And also trying to push out negative thoughts. Trying to rearrange my life a bit, after coming back from a 2 week vacation I realize I have been stuck in a rut. Trying eating different things for dinner as a start :) wow, what a risk taker I am!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
June update! 15mg of Lexapro proved to be too much medication for me.  My dry mouth was like the Sahara desert and I became a little over medicated.

It is possible that switching to Celexa (citalopram) might make a difference. While they both contain the same active chemical, Celexa also contains a mostly inactive isomer of it which in theory shouldn't make any difference but often does in subtle ways because it also slightly impacts other neurotransmitter pathways besides serotonin (Lexapro is the only true SSRI directly affecting only serotonin binding sites). It also, for example, blocks histamine receptors causing sedation so you may get your 10 hours of sleep back at the 20mg dose equivalent to Lexapro 10mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »
Insights, thanks for the advice, I will keep that under consideration!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: