Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: FREAKING out as we speak. Don't know how to calm down.  (Read 455 times)

Offline mikechew

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
FREAKING out as we speak. Don't know how to calm down.
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:35:08 AM »
Hey all, I'm new to the board but have been lurking a little while.

I'm currently in the throes of a panic attack at work and dont know how to calm myself down.  My heart is racing and as much as I try I can't quit shaking my legs or moving around, breathing heavily.  Any last minute advice to someone who's really desperate and looking for a way to just calm the hell down!?

A little backstory:
-I'm a video editor and as such can get pretty stressed out from time to time with deadlines and such.  Lately though, I've been stressing myself out by procrastinating to an unhealthy extent.  I've found myself making up stories to make up for being late and leaving projects to the very last minute, like I have now.  I have a major screening with network people in a few hours (3.5 and counting)  B-;and still have some work to do on this cut I'm supposed to present.  I STAYED HERE, AT WORK, OVERNIGHT for the second time in as many screenings because my procrastination is so bad.  I realize a lot of my problems come from procrastinating and focusing on the "I shouldve done this" and "I wish I wouldn;t have done this," but I'm here now and don't know how to calm down.

Anyone have any pointers or methods they use to focus, or bypass these awful feelings?

Thank you in advance!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: FREAKING out as we speak. Don't know how to calm down.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:30:31 AM »
I do bookkeeping, so I procrastinate since my job isn't very stimulating to keep me interested.  It helps to write daily objectives down and keep it in a place where you constantly see it. We tend to put objectives in the back of our minds and they never get done.  Like you said with deadlines... for me as a bookkeeper the end of each month is crunch time.  I found myself trying to reconcile our companies books at the end of each month and getting panicked at how much I had to do.  Now I have a written objective to reconcile the books each Friday so the end of the month isn't so hectic for me.

Also reward yourself for doing so many objectives.... when you get a 1/4 of your daily objectives done allow yourself a 20min break to play an online game, check your *****, get a snack.. etc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:28:21 AM »
Since going to the doc to talk meds and therapy isn't an option here's my advice:  walk it off.  Get outside, let your legs walk off the nervous energy , and do some people watching to distract your brain.  If you have a cell phone camera take pics...it will give you something to focus on.  On your walk stop by a store and get a green tea , it has wonderful soothing properties.

If for some reason you can't get outside find a quit spot and do some deep breathing and progressive relaxation.  Lay down and start by tightening the muscles in your toes .  Hold for a few seconds and then relax completely.  Next do you feet and then work up through your calves, and so on.  Focus on the sensation of release as you relax, letting the stress disappear bit by bit with each muscle.

Hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »
I tend to intentionally scare myself, or overwhelm myself in some way that is controllable as an outlet. If you want to go the scarning yourself route, just type "smile dog" into google. And no, I'm not spreading the word. Just trying to be helpful.

If you don't enjoy scaring yourself, here's a fun optical illusion that is so distracting that ive found it difficult to panic while looking at: http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/kamrom/sqsis.jpg

I just tend to do something that can force my focus onto a very specific thing that isn't me. It can be anything really. Annoyingly hard games are another thing I do a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikechew

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for your advice.  I ended up taking a walk and talking to my fiancee on the phone, which helped tremendously.

I'm starting to feel the same way again right now....and I noticed that everything was fine until I started thinking of the other time this happened (my original post).  If I don't torture myself and think about it, the anxiety melts away.  Sometimes I fall into a rabbit hole of thoughts, one more damaging than the next, about "what am I doing?  why do i do this to myself? why do i do this every f*****g time," etc etc and it just snowballs to where I'm hunched over in my chair, unable to move or think clearly.  I'm slowly getting back to normal now...

Thing is, I was never really like this.  I've always struggled with procrastination but this intense anxiety is pretty new for me.  My fiancee deals with it daily and I wonder if some of her panicky tendencies rubbed off on me.  Usually I'm the strong one at home who calms her down and helps mellow her out, but lately I've been calling on her to do the same for me.  Anyone ever feel anything like that?  Like your partner's nervous characteristics change the way you behave?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jane Sander

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
Hmmm, I don't think her symptoms could have 'rubbed off' on you. BUT I do think it is possible that your behaviour, attitudes and feelings towards anxiety have changed because of her struggles. That said, you must realise that a huge amount of people suffer from intense bouts of anxiety from time to time in their lives, and maybe that is what you are currently going through.
Bookmark and Share
I sometimes write for www.calmandserenity.com which is a resource site by a few members of Health Anxiety Forum to help sufferers of panic and anxiety.

http://www.calmandserenity.com

Proud Headspacer :P