Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: A question about swallowing  (Read 108 times)

Offline Daxter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
A question about swallowing
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:17:58 PM »
A little while back, I posted about intolerable symptoms I've been getting, including a tight throat, shortness of breath, mucus-filled saliva and ear pain, along with my expected levels of anxiety. I also noted that Gaviscon etc didn't really help matters, and that despite the strictest diet and medications I've needed in a long time, nothing helps at all. As soon as I swallow my saliva or water, it all comes back. The tightness is especially worrying, and appears when I swallow something thick, from mucus to saliva to Gaviscon.

In what I admit was a desperate idea, I started spitting into tissues etc to stop myself swallowing, especially of there's mucus in my saliva. Doing so produces more saliva, but I try to keep it up until I have no choice but to swallow. As soon as I do, my symptoms return regardless of my level of stress or my diet/actions. One swallow and all the Lpr symptons return.

Am I missing something here? Why would almost all my symptoms stop if I don't swallow (or stifle a belch)? I'm hoping this isn't a sign my throat isn't super-damaged, but even if it is, why can I only feel pain from this one type of behaviour?

SIDE NOTE; I also feel like my own saliva - or anything I drink - enter my ear canal whenever I swallow it, feels exactly like 'swimmers ear' too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: A question about swallowing
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
Issues with swallowing are a very common, extremely irritating symptom of anxiety and panic issues. But you'll be sort of happy to know that there have been studies done on this. As it turns out, there is absolutely no physical change to a person when they experience these symptoms.  All the tests have shown their various parts continue to function just fine.

Its not clear why we have this odd feeling during anxiety, but we do know its not caused by anything physical. Much as I hate the phrase, its all in our heads.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: