Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: lung cancer questions  (Read 199 times)

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
lung cancer questions
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:02:48 AM »
Hey  :action-smiley-065:

Since early April I've had an upper chest ache .  Usually I get this and an occasional dry cough in April and October.  Yeats ago my dr said it's because I live in the Midwest, all the crops and whatnot.  Well it's mid may and I still have it.  So of course I'm getting worried.  Plus I have a granuloma on my lung, so that always adds to it. 

But my questions are:  can people with lung cancer still work out, walking and running around, all that, or does the illness make it too difficult?  And, I just went to the dr for something else, and my lungs were clear and sounded good, do people with lung cancer have noise or phlegm in their lungs? 
I chose not to bring this topic up with the dr because I went to the walk in, and I have an appt for my yearly coming up in a couple weeks with my actual dr, and I'd feel more comfortable discussing this with her. 
One more question......would a CBC pick something up if there was cancer? 
Thanks all!
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: lung cancer questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »
My grandmother (age 71) has advanced lung cancer. She had no cough, phlegm, or typical lung cancer symptoms but she had weight loss and severe anemia and a few other wonky things with her blood counts. They thought it was either her lupus or another blood disorder but her Dr ordered an entire body CT scan and they found the LC. She is pretty ill. Still doesn't have any respiratory symptoms but she is still losing weight and her blood work is so bad she can't do chemo most weeks. I also do not think she even has chest pains. She was a 60 year smoker and has other medical issues. I think odds are you have something completely innocent going on. 
I know another lady who passed from lung cancer in her 40s (no smoking and very healthy) and her symptoms were numbness in hands and feet, dizziness and severe crippling back pain. She told her story at church before her passing. Her dr thought it was hormonal related but ordered blood work and a CT and it was found. She only lasted a year because of how aggressive her rare type was.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:33:18 AM »
I just had a CBC, hopefully it comes back normal. 
My husband thinks it's related to the high pollen count we've been having.  But I'm a former smoker (4 1/2 years without one), so that adds to my anxiety.  I'm only 33, although I know in reality that doesn't mean much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »
Don't worry about the cough.   When my daughter was little she had a cough (sounded like the croop actually!) for about 8 months!  The doctor would give her some kind of medicine and she'd get bronchitis from it!  (she also had X-rays) After the 3'rd time trying the medication  I stopped  and just waited out the cough! I once had a cough from February to May.  It happens - mainly allergies.
I never heard of an aching chest from lung cancer.  When I had my cough I walked 2 miles and then felt I was going to pass out!  It was really horrible!  (and mine ended up being only allergies!  So I am sure CANCER would definitely be felt if working out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:17:18 AM »
Sunlover, did you have any nose congestion with your allergies?  I do not.  But my husband is convinced my issue is from all the pollen.  I just thought the classic allergy symptoms always included the itchy eyes and runny nose.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:28:27 AM »
No, I didn't have any nose congestion or itchy eyes.  My cough just started little one day and every TWO days would get a little worse!  (weird how that worked!) - since it was February and there was no plants or anything the only thing I was doing was eating a LOT of some kind of vanilla cake from a local supermarket bakery!  I asked the doctor if she thought it was allergies from that or something...  she just said, "Could be"  She gave me Mucinex and some sort of "inhaler" thing to calm down the bronchial irritation.  I had the cough for about a month before I went to the doctor and it didn't FULLY go away until the beginning of May.
And my daughter had no nose congestion either.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
One more question sunlover, was your cough dry or productive?  Mine is dry. 
Thank you both for your responses.  I really appreciate it!  It helps calm the anxiety :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 06:06:24 PM »
One more question sunlover, was your cough dry or productive?  Mine is dry. 
Thank you both for your responses.  I really appreciate it!  It helps calm the anxiety :)

It was productive...  and that is WEIRD for me because I am 55 and only had 2 coughs that were productive (in my entire life). 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: