Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: If I do this, something bad will happen.  (Read 148 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
If I do this, something bad will happen.
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:04:04 AM »
I don't know if I really have OCD or not but I thought maybe people on this board would at least be able to relate.

I'm terrified of squashing bugs because every time I do it, something bad seems to happen.

I know that's more than likely not actually a case of cause and effect, and I'm just expecting it so I notice the bad things that happen.  But I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, and I'm worried about the doctor realizing that he missed diagnosing me with something serious.  And today I accidentally killed a centipede and a gnat.  Tried to chase the centipede out of my bedroom but it wouldn't take direction, and later I found it squished on the floor.  Either I stepped on it or my cat got to it.  The gnat landed on me and I just felt an itch and scratched, killing it. 

I...don't know why I felt the need to go into that much detail over the bugs I accidentally killed. 

I've had this weird belief for over ten years now and to call it a drag is an understatement.  Centipedes, spiders, even cockroaches, I make myself trap them and dump them outside.  As someone who's terrified of bugs, that's usually the worst part of my day.  But my god it really does seem like bad things always happen when I kill bugs, even accidentally. 

Does anyone else have this, where you avoid certain things because you're afraid bad things will happen if you do them?

Likewise, I was really worried about spending a week with my friends this month and letting myself be happy because I "knew" something bad would happen - I'm always suspicious when I'm happy.  Sure enough, the day after that, one of my oldest friends told me that she'd been diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer.

My girlfriend is trying to tell me it's a coincidence, and I know it is, but at the same time...I have other friends wanting to visit this year, other fun things I want to do, and I'm afraid to do them in case my happiness leads to more bad things happening.  (Though I thought I would be told I was dying...this never occurred to me, to be honest.) 

Anyone else?  Or am I just too screwed up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: If I do this, something bad will happen.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:08:13 AM »
I know what I'm going to say isn't the same thing, but it's the same PRINCIPLE.  I'll name ONE thing:   EVERY time I am running late I get EVERY red light from the beginning, if I WANT a red light to DO something they all turn green as I get to them!   I keep telling myself there is no force in this world that is specifically out to get ME with traffic lights (which is the same with you - there's no force out to get you with killing bugs).   I know this logically (as do you probably) but you can't help but start to believe it when you think the thing happens almost every time!  So...  with that said, when I start thinking like that with something I start writing it down and keeping track and do you know that at the end of 2 weeks or so my "theory" is out the window because what I thought would happen "every time" actually DIDN'T??  So what you can do is keep a paper, write down the date a bug was killed, then write down dates something bad happens - then compare the dates (do it for about a month) I will guarantee you that you will see NO correlation when you actually have it down on paper.
And something bad happening is all relevant too.  I mean you may kill a bug and then are late for an appointment and you'd consider THAT a bad thing - but you have to keep things in perspective.  You'll end up CREATING a reality that doesn't exist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: If I do this, something bad will happen.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:29:26 AM »
Sometimes I do think there's some force out to punish me for things.  Don't know if you ever watched Seinfeld but there's a scene where George is sure he has cancer because God would never let him be happy.  To which Jerry replies that George doesn't even believe in God, and George says "I do for the bad stuff!"  I feel like that a lot. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: