Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: About to be thrown into the deep end and out of my comfort zone!  (Read 198 times)

Offline jomox

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello,

Will try keep this short, but over time I've come to realise what my problems are and cause of anxiety/panic attacks. I cannot let people see my face in daylight, even family, this caused severe anxiety which leads to panic attacks etc. If I do go out sometimes in daylight I have to have a hood up and hide my face as much as possible, even trying to go to the shop is a massive challenge still and usually prefer to do it when it rains so I blend in more with society, and generally around any people anywhere I have severe anxiety (If I go to the doctors I have to be put in a room on my own or at least away from the waiting room)
I often have bad depression, and worry very much about all sorts, mentality not stable and avoid being out in daylight and stuff for many years around people. If no one was around at all, no problem go outside in day.

Anyway, I can go away on holiday with a family member in 3 weeks as one of them as pulled out, this will be with one family member, who like said, am even anxious about in the day (seeing my face in the daylight etc)
I am going to do it, but I don't know how I will cope when there etc. My doctor has given me some diazepam for the 4 hour plane flight as I just think the worse is going to happen, so hopefully that will help. The hotel we going to is quiet and one part of the beech is busy but the other side quiet, I don't know if I will be able to go out the hotel for the first day or two, I may have to catch some sun on the balcony and then try go outside after, because I would like to catch some sun and look healthier before going to the outside world.

This is going to take a hell of allot for me to do this and is by far the biggest challenge of my life, but I need it to help me get better and healthy again, however, even trying not to think about all the problems I will face, I will be thinking about them  leading up to leaving, and I'm going to be very nervous and anxious, which as you know causes many problems with health, any advise and tips of what will help me handle this? or do I just need positive support to push me to do it?

Am just crapping myself about being out of my comfort zone and thrown right into the deep end, because I don't want to have a mental break down while there because I'm not able to handle the situation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: About to be thrown into the deep end and out of my comfort zone!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:43:04 AM »
At times it can take such a big thing to let us see exactly what we can do. I recall going over to a friend in Scotland. I live in Ireland. She wanted to come over here via ferry and bring her car with her and we both go back together. But I said no thanks. If it is to be done, I have to be able to do it alone. I was a bit up in the air with my thoughts. What if things go badly wrong. It was trains, ferry and more trains. Talking 14 hours in total from my house to her house. Worth understanding that I had spent 10 years indoors. But the challenge was there. I went over for a few months. Came home again then. Went back over a few months later for another while. I think I surprised myself at how calm I was. My mind was more thinking ' you are away from home now, nothing you can do, but get it right '. I had time in advance of going over to get ready. Few small trips here in Ireland. Just to test myself out. So if you have time maybe take a train ride or a bus ride and see what you feel like. Music was my best friend. These days it is all MP3 players. Don't leave home without one. Greatest form of distraction ever. Maybe a book or two. Just in case. I would also bring a camera. Take loads of pictures if anxious. Is like looking at the world through the lens of a camera. These are all distractions. It will be a very big ask. But something you can do. Just believe in yourself. Anything is possible if we put our minds to it.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
Do it!  You will be proud ofyourself after all is said ad done.  THis is how you get better.  The Irish Rogue is right about this. 

I, too, face a trip to go to a wedding in Ohio at the end of June.   I also went to Florida for 6 weeks in the winter.  Yes, out of my comfort zone but you learn how to bring the comfort zone with you.

Good luck,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
You stop worrying about having panic attacks. Worrying about having them causes them. Instead, assume that you will have them.That way you wont be worrying if one might come - cause you know it will - and you'll be better prepared to handle it when it happens.

Or you could be wrong and have no anxiety issues, which would be a pleasant surprise. My point is, worrying about having an attack is 100% effective in causing an attack.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: