Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: going back to work tomorrow  (Read 119 times)

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
going back to work tomorrow
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:36:02 AM »
Hi all. I've been recovering for the past 6 weeks from a neck injury (I herniated 2 discs in my neck). I've been getting very comfortable at home, but now I am going back to work tomorrow. I've been a nervous wreck for the past 2 days. I've been laying on the couch worrying about work and experiencing dizziness and DR/DP. I lost my appetite as well and just overall nervous. I'm trying to hide it so my 6 year old son doesn't pick up on my anxiety. My wife and I are also expecting another child in October, so maybe that's also adding to my overall stress level. Anyways....I just needed to vent. This is sometimes the place to vent! Thanks
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 56
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: going back to work tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »
Hi,

Well, when you have been off for 6 weeks, it is a bit difficult to get back into a structured routine because there is a bit of a "fear" that you won't be able to take a rest when you want it, etc. depending on the type of work you are doing . . . and, of course, the type of work environment . . . .also, with one child at home and another on the way, there might be the added pressure to get back to work and to hit the ground running, so to speak . . . I would suggest that your best approach may be to take one day at a time and see that doing that is an accomplishment because herniated discs in the neck are absolutely no laughing matter . . . . and rather than being on edge trying to keep what you are experiencing from your son, perhaps let him in on the situation to a limited amount such as telling him that Dad is recovering from an injury and that he might need some time to rest and may not be as active with him right now but that will improve and then fill your time together with activities that are okay for you to do . . . sometimes, in my experience, anxiety is passed on to a child because the child is old enough to mimic/learn the behaviour of the adult but not to be able to process whether it is appropriate or not . . . so, by involving the child to his or her level sometimes helps to offset the child's unconscious adaptation to the behaviour . . . . for me, it is most important that the child does not assume that it is something he has "done wrong" to cause Dad to be this way and you can go a long way to helping him to understand that . . . .glad you feel comfortable coming here to vent and hope to hear how your first day back of work went . . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Tags: