Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety and panic before bedtime  (Read 367 times)

Offline Tiredofbeingexhausted

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety and panic before bedtime
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
Hey guys,
Been having trouble sleeping every night. Every time I lay down for bed at night one of my leg hurts/aches. This and when im fatigued or sleepy and without glasses is what has me thinking im panicking. I guess because I see hazy and feel pain down there (thinking DVT) subconsciously. I toss and turn and feel little adrenal surges. This happens for 1 hour- 4 hours every night. Does this sound like anxiety or is my body screwed up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline RyaninCO

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety and panic before bedtime
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »
Hi Tiredofbeingexausted,

First time poster here and I wanted to reply to your post because this happens to me too and I wanted to share my experience and I've always wondered if this was just something that I internalized myself but it's nice to see another person that shares the same issue.

As for my reasons... When I first started dealing with my anxiety a couple years ago and I didn't understand what was happening to myself I had a severe insomnia episode and didn't sleep for 4 days or so.  My mind, thoughts, body, everything was just out of whack.  I've since been seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety/antidepressant medication as well as a therapist to help cope with some other issues that where going on in my life.  I just hit a rough patch in my life, emotionally, physically (quitting smoking), mentally and with my relationship.

I would absolutely suggest seeing a doctor if your sleep anxiety continues to worsen.  I can definitely tell you how much it can effect you as it did for me.

I've since been able to get my sleep under control albeit aided with medication but it has been a life savor for me.  I struggle from time to time but it certainly is better now.

Hope you're doing well!
Ryan
Bookmark and Share

Offline Michele28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:27:56 AM »
my anxiety always gets worse at night when i am laying down and my mind wanders
Bookmark and Share

Offline RyaninCO

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
my anxiety always gets worse at night when i am laying down and my mind wanders

Hi Michele28,

Thanks for sharing with us.  Do you do anything to ward it off?  Any special techniques to get it to calm down?  Last night was tough for me to fall asleep.  I just couldn't get my mind to shut off.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline danimal_44

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:28:52 PM »
I have the same issue. My health anxiety is always bad at night. It frequently causes me to stay up for hours, which I cannot afford to do since I have a 3-year-old that wakes up around 6/6:30.

I usually feel much better after getting some sleep, but I never get enough.

I had pains in my legs for a few months and obsessed over it. I could feel the spot where the pain was. Now my anxiety has moved toward my chest area, and interestingly, I almost never get pains in my legs now.

Reading on this website, relating to others with the same issues, and truly accepting in my mind that I have anxiety has given me the most relief so far.
Bookmark and Share
Stop fighting and start relaxing.

Offline kms89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:58:06 AM »
I combat night anxiety with leaving my T.V. on sadly. The noise and listening to what's going on in the show on T.V. stops me from thinking too much and I'm able to fall asleep. I just set the timer for about 30 minutes so that it doesn't stay on all night. I have to do it again when I wake up in the middle of the night.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Peanut the kidnapper (UK)

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
I always find that the full body scan works. I learned it as part of the meditation exercises that I took up during CBT. I focus on my breathing, and then imagine that breath drifting through my body to my toes, then drifting back up again. I repeat it three or four time, before moving onto the next part of my body, gradually working my way up to the top of my head, feeling the breath in each part of my body in turn. When I do it as part of my meditation, I can complete the exercise fully, but when Iím having difficulty getting to sleep performing this exercise normally relaxes me enough to drift off. If I wake early in the morning, I donít normally get much further than my knees before Iíve drifted off Ė on waking I find myself annoyed that I didnít reach the top of my head, then I have to remind myself of why I was doing this at four Oíclock in the morning!

My anxiety is bad in the evening but itís worse in the morning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 123anxious123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »
Bedtime is the absolute worse for me as well.  I feel your pain and am in the same boat.  The only thing that works is a Xanax.  I don't take them at all during the day, but they are necessary at night for me to sleep. 
Bookmark and Share

Online sleek_chic01

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »
[qutireduthor=Tiredofbeingexhausted link=topic=88396.msg493541#msg493541 date=1400592468]
Heys,
Been having trouble sleeping every night. Every time I lay down for bed at night one of my leg hurts/aches. This and we tigued or sleepy and without glasses is what has me thinking im panicking. I guess because I see hazy and feel pain down there (thinking DVT) subconsciously. I toss and turn and feel little adrenal surges. This happens for 1 hour- 4 hours every night. Does this sound like anxiety or is my body screwed up?
[/quote]

Hi Tired of being exhausted,

Does the pain or feeling in your leg feel like you need to keep moving your legs to make the pain stop? I have restless leg syndrome and I used to get this feeling before my doctor put me on medication for it. Before that I would have a hard time falling asleep and I would toss and turn all night. I'm thinking you might also be having some anxiety from this because your worried about why it is happening. Talk to your doctor and tell him/her about the symptoms your having and they can put u on the right type of medication and maybe even give you a sleeping aid to help u fall asleep. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: