Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Helpful activities  (Read 104 times)

Offline LivD

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Helpful activities
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:27:28 AM »
Is there any activity that really help with your anxiety, and why? (I'm posting here because this section - alas - has more traffic than success stories!)

My therapist helped me realise that I neglected one of my passions, writing. I'm a book editor, so in a certain way writing (though it's actually rewriting) is my job. It's like I found a way to do what I love without having to judge myself for my results: the book has already been written by someone else and I'm good at working on it, seeing what's wrong and make it better. But I neglected my own creative part.

Some of my issues are: not expressing myself enough, being a perfectionist and judging myself all the time, playing it safe. It takes me an effort to start, but when I write my own stuff I feel good because I'm working on all these issues: I express myself and create, I let go and judge myself less (and I see that I can produce something good!), and I don't know what will come out of it but I enjoy the uncertainty (always a good thing for anxiety sufferers).

What about you? :)
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: Helpful activities
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
Have a bunch of activities, pretend writing being one. Actually write a series I call "Books on the Shelf" good enough for me. In fact, I once sent the first chapter of one to a publisher. Was such a wreck until I got my rejection slip that I promised myself never to do that again.

My other activities revolve around a variety of physical exercise and, at the other end, meditation. It's a lovely adventure to discover what helps us. You may want to try and suspend judgment and do what gives you pleasure and satisfaction.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bodhi

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Helpful activities
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Hi, here are some of the things I do that help:

- Keep a gratuity list. Every few days or when I feel like it I review and add to a list of things I am thankful for. I have an app on my phone and a journal.

- Deep breaths: I close my eyes and count 10-20 slow deep breaths. I have an app on my phone that measures stress by putting your finger on the lens. So a few times a day I check my stress level while I do deep breaths

- Walk outside or stretching: just light simple stretching, a couple of easy yoga moves, touch my toes, etc.

- Reading positive material: reading and practicing Buddhist material really helps keep my mind focused and keeps me grounded. Or if you are not religious get some books on positive thinking and read a little each day.

- Acting and speaking positively and ethically: Even when I have bad anxiety I try to speak and be patient, act with love, give and help people. I try to keep my anger down.

- ACT (Acceptance and Commitment) therapy - this is a a therapy from the book "The Happiness Trap" that helps you accept and defuse anxiety thoughts while at the same time writing down the goals and values you are committed to in your life. If a though is not helpful towards your end goals and values, then you can more easily recognize it as an unhelpful thought and defuse from it.

These things help manage anxiety for me.

Bookmark and Share
Buddhism 5 Minute Introduction: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Tags: