Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Thumb Twitching Freaking Me Out  (Read 206 times)

Offline cmatthews1112

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Thumb Twitching Freaking Me Out
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »
Hi Everyone
For the past week I have noticed my left thumb is occasionally twitching. It's not constant but worries me. Of course I have googled it and convinced myself that I have the start of ALS. I cannot stop obsessing that I'm going to have this horrible disease and die. I have two small children and my biggest fear is leaving them! I know thumb twitching can be anxiety related and I also have carpal tunnel syndrome so I know this could be part of the thumb twitching. However my mind works in Worst Case Scenerio mode and I can't stop this fear. I feel myself spiraling into my OCD Health Anxiety mode. I'm taking 20mg of Celexa for my anxiety. Has anyone else ever had thumb twitching and it was just benign???? I'm scared. Plus we leave for Disney in 2 weeks and I know if I keep worrying it will ruin our trip and I just want to enjoy our family vacation.
Thanks
Christy
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Thumb Twitching Freaking Me Out
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »
I have had many twitches over they ears and they have been nothing. My daughter had severe eye twitching once in college during final
exams, but once they were over, so was the twitching. Enjoy yourself in Disney and have a safe trip.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline cmatthews1112

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:25:53 AM »
Thanks for responding! I also have had other twitches in the past and they've all gone away. For some reason I'm obsessing on this thumb thing. My anxiety about my health has been bad lately. I used to come to this site a lot about 6 years ago. Convinced I had MS then... I hate the constant fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rubbr_Dukkie

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »
My right thumb pad twitches NON STOP. It's nice to see other people with twitching thumb problems as well :)

mine has spouts where every time I flex it or use it in the slightest, it spasms for a good 1 or 2 minutes... its completely benign.. just do to some nerve pressure from playing guitar and typing ( I work from home )

Also, if you had anything serious, your thumb would not work properly. If you can still write, pick something up, twiddle your thumbs, your nerves are in perfect working condition :)

also please be aware that there is a Percieved weakness and actual weakness.. if your thumb FEELS weak ... like its not preforming at 100%... it's probably because the muscle is exhausted from twitching.. my thumb does this as well.. the next day its fine..

most likely you have a pinched nerve in your neck or back (if you have any pain or discomfort thats a dead giveaway) or somewhere in your arm.. mine is actually in my thumb itself, if I stimulate it to much it pinches and spasms out.. it can last for a day, days or even weeks.

Don't worry, your FINE :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »
I do have twitching and a fear of als or some other motor neuron disease. I also have 2 children and i swear im going to be diagnosed of this disease. unfortunately i have other symptoms like perceived weakness and what i think may be atrophy!

chances are we are both completely fine though and this is all anxiety haha
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rubbr_Dukkie

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »
Perceived weakness is NOT a symptom if ALS OR MS...

It's basically shorthand for "feeling like your muscles are weaker when in fact they aren't"

If you want a quick test, do something like playing piano, writing a word, picking up a mug.. Etc

If you were to have one of these diseases and atrophy in your thumb, this would be nearly if not impossible...

So until you can't pour a cup of milk, don't worry! I've been in that EXACT same boat.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: