Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Having a terrible day/setback of panic..feeling helpless  (Read 141 times)

Offline anadeiram

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Having a terrible day/setback of panic..feeling helpless
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »
I'll start off by saying I have been diagnosed with panic disorder/GAD since i'm 13 years old and i'm 25 now. I was on Lexapro for over 5 years and just tapered off almost a month ago. I was alright for a few weeks, just general withdrawal symptoms like brain-zaps. Though I have been having trouble sleeping lately and last night put me over the edge.

I experienced a terrible panic attack last night while trying to go to sleep. Every time I tried to sleep and "drift off", I would get this surge like feeling up my neck and into my head and my heart would start racing. It almost felt as if I had way too much caffeine, and I was getting an adrenaline rush and this weird pressure sensation in my head and it would jolt me awake. This continued all night along with tremors and continued racing heart beat and I worked myself up so much that I got sick to my stomach. I finally slept for a few hours after I couldn't take anymore and took a klonopin which I rarely use.

Today I feel almost worse, not in the sense that I am panicking but I feel very tense and ill and run down, almost like the flu. I've been having bouts of crying because I feel very helpless and worried about what tonight will bring when I go to sleep. I tried to sleep some today because my body feels so exhausted but my mind is racing and every time I may almost doze off I get that adrenaline rush feeling and my heart races. I don't want to have to go back on lexapro, but I almost never experienced panic attacks when I was on it. What if I can't control the panic and it just gets worse, will I just have to face the fact that I need to be on antidepressants the rest of my life? I don't want that to be me. I want to be normal without medication but i'm terrified that i'll never be normal and panic free on my own.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Having a terrible day/setback of panic..feeling helpless
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »
Your story sounds a lot like mine.  I went off Zoloft in the Sprnig and by Fall I went back into panic. It's a lousy feeling and you're tryineg to stave it off, but you've been through this before and you know what you're heading into.  The trick is to beat it to the punch.  Start using the klonopin. That cuts down on the panic so it doesn't get rooted.  If you have to go back on the Lexapro, go back on. There's nothing wrong with being on an antidepressant for the rest of your life.  (And by the way, you are still very young.)

Nip it in the bud quickly before it makes a groove in your psyche.  Take the klonopin and  get a good night's sleep tonight.  That's an important factor.

ALso, get on the chat room and talk to other people who have been on antidepressants, sometimes more than one at a time.  Did you know that only 20% of the people who suffer from GAD and panic disorder are geting treatment the right way?  THe rest are self-medicating with illegal drugs and alcohol.

We are with you here.  Stay strong.

Best regards,

Julie

Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Having a terrible day/setback of panic..feeling helpless
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
Julie, are you having trouble getting back on the Zoloft? I quit taking Prozac last march and in 2 months I had a terrible weird spell. my head felt funny and I felt weak and tired. I kept having these spells every day till I tried to get back on Prozac and had terrible insomnia. I panic over that and switched to celexa that was last July. my weak spells got better and less but now they are back strong again. I am suppose to switch to Zoloft but I am afraid what if they get worse. I am afraid to stay on the celexa as I don't think it is helping would go back on Prozac but afraid of the insomnia. I just got back from the p dr at that he couldn't help me decide he in fact wanted me to stay on the celexa and add klonopin. I didn't want to go that route. this is the second p dr I have see. I don't know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: