Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: One of those SUPER irrational fears...  (Read 218 times)

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
One of those SUPER irrational fears...
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »
Do you guys ever have one of those irrational fears where the facts are there to tell you otherwise, but you just can't get it out of your head? Today is one of those days for me.

I have a congested nose and I used my saline spray, just without thinking about it and then... I thought about it. What if that warm water I used to clean the other day had amoeba in it? Pretty far fetched, right?

Look at this: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/state-map.html

I live in Oregon where there have been ZERO reports of it. Still, here I am, shaking and with a headache. Convinced I'm gonna die. Ridiculous... anyone deal with anything similar? Anyone wanna talk me down from crazy land?
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: One of those SUPER irrational fears...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
That is why you have an immune system... we are exposed to toxins (in one form or another) every minute of every day. The symptoms you are having right now are pure anxiety. Right now, there are millions of people in Oregon swimming, showering, bathing, washing their faces, brushing their teeth, etc.  What makes you think you're so special that YOU'LL get the golden ticket?  LOL.  You'll be fine, and God Bless :)
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Descent

Depressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:25:30 PM »
That's all true. You're right. It's just frustrating because I know there hasn't been any cases where saline spray has caused this... and I know there haven't been any cases in Oregon... yet still I'm scared out of my mind here. So silly!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

Depressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »
Still having a really bad headache, along with some nausea. Some more reassuring words would be greatly appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raptick Nead

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Whoa, that map reveals I live in a state with FIVE reported cases. Now I'm nervous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

Depressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
Whoa, that map reveals I live in a state with FIVE reported cases. Now I'm nervous.

Just don't go swimming in freshwater lakes or ponds, especially during summer months.  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

Depressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »
Just posting this bit of information for any potential future readers: "It can't survive outside of water" So my freak out was even more unjustified and impossible than before. Hope this helps someone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
Headaches and nausea are primary anxiety symptoms.  Sounds to me like u need a sinus tablet (sinuses draining can cause terriblenausea).  Try a Sudafed and relax YOU ARE FINE.   
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 94
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
It's impossible to fully just shut off your fears, but I do think there are a couple of things you can do just generally to help yourself.

In this specific instance, there's no way you're going to get an amoeba from fresh tap water. I'm sorry, it's just not going to happen.

But beyond that, you'd do wise to try and avoid google and/or looking up health-related info online (I'm sure you know this already), and to also cut back on the reassurance-seeking behaviors (yes, even coming on here and asking for help). While both of those things might feel good "in the moment," ultimately they're holding you back from true recovery and they're not giving your nervous system a true chance to heal.

You sound a lot like me, saying that you KNOW you're being irrational and yet you can't help but be concerned. I totally get it, and when my health anxiety was bad, I was just like that, too. So to just say to you, "well just don't google and don't ask for reassurance," is not only cold comfort, but let's be honest, you're still going to do it anyway, most likely. The fact that you have this awareness is good; it's a first step. You could go on like this for months yet, in full awareness that what you're doing is counterproductive. It's not until you truly WANT to stop feeling scared about your health that you'll actually and fully curb these behaviors.

Whatever that switch is for you, I've found that you can't really force it from happening. In the meantime, I'd try everything in my power to curb the reassurance seeking behaviors (and if you can't, just be aware that they're what's keeping you trapped in this cycle), and seek some professional treatment (or at least some serious self help work). With both of those things, eventually you're going to find your mind clearing.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Descent

Depressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
Nytviolet: Yes, I know they are. :P Ended up giving myself a migraine yesterday, pulsing headache that knocked me out good. No worries!

vardnas: Thanks for your insightful, helpful post. :)

Yes if it was free flowing in city tap water, it would be an epidemic of sorts. I just lost perspective big time yesterday, ended up having a 4 hour panic attack which then led to a 3 hour migraine. I am going to a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist these days and it has helped quite a bit. Googling is on my list of things to not do, of course. :P I've been getting better at not doing it and I always tell her if I don't follow it.

Unfortunately, I am predisposed to symptoms like stiff neck (I have mild arthritis) and stress only makes it way worse. So yesterday when I was freaking out, I had a stiff neck plus a pounding headache and nausea. It was hard to be rational, even with all the facts right in front of me.

Also, no fever, not much fatigue except for after the panic attack. I don't know why I freaked, city water is treated for these sorts of things and there are rules and regulations in place. It is counterproductive, I understand that. I said that exact word to someone when I was freaking out yesterday. Thanks for the advice, I'll try better to solve these behaviors.
Bookmark and Share