Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New for Me - Facial Numbness  (Read 126 times)

Offline MichGuy

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New for Me - Facial Numbness
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:40:32 PM »
Usually I am a heart pain/ breathing worrier -- but the last week I have had a new thing pop up! Facial numbness!

It is usually on the left side of my face (though it will change sides occasionally). It is numb around my temple, cheek bone, cheek, lip, tongue, forehead, and back of neck. Sometimes it is accompanied by dizziness and forehead pain.

It will come on suddenly and last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. It will disappear for abit and then come back later with full force.

I recently started smoking (unhealthy I know), and noticed that today's numbness started today after a small cigarillo, but that was 6-7 hours ago, and it's still going on.

Prior to that I was drinking pretty regularly, but I have not had anything to drink for the last three days.

I am worried about a TIA/Stroke, Tumor, Cancer, or some sort of nerve thing.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New for Me - Facial Numbness
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »
You are not accustomed to smoking. When you inhale a cigarette, it reduces oxygen / blood flow to the brain. This in itself could give you the sensation of numbness.  Another explanation could be that you're carrying a lot of tension in your neck, and it's causing a numb feeling on the face and head.  I'm sure you are fine, but if you begin experiencing any weakness see a doctor.  Remember the acronym F.A.S.T. = Does one side of the FACE droop? ARMS Is one arm weak or numb? SPEECH Is the speech slurred? TIME Time is critical.  To me, it doesn't sound like anything other than the numbness associated with constricting blood vessels from smoking.  Be Well :)

Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »
On the main page check out "This list is a lifesaver!".  I am quoting from something I found in there for you, "Neck & shoulder pain & numbness in face or head. The blood vessels and nerves, which supply the face and head, originate in the neck and shoulders. Many of these nerves and blood vessels are routed across the head to the face. When the body is under stress these areas of the body are usually the first to become tense. Facial numbness can be very disturbing but is usually nothing to worry about and is usually the result of this tension."   I hope this helps put your mind at ease.

Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »
My cheek has been feeling this way off and on. It feels numb but yet I can scratch and feel it. So I call it numbish. I try not to worry but it gets annoying cause it comes at times where I am feeling good. :(
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Tags: