Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Eye issues...allergies or anxiety??? Anyone else?  (Read 100 times)

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Eye issues...allergies or anxiety??? Anyone else?
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
I've been dealing with this issue on & off for about a month now. Sometimes I feel off balance/dizzy/lightheaded. It's not all the time & some days I'm completely fine. It started around the same time that I started having some mild seasonal allergy symptoms, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Otherwise, I thought it could be my anxiety (or a combo of both) because I often have symptoms of derealization, especially when I first noticed this happening.

That's one part of the issue. Another is that I've noticed that I'm having a harder time seeing in dim lighting. I'm 35, so it could be age related, but could it be allergy or anxiety? I'm wondering because it's not all the time. It really bothered me Fri & Sat, but last night I was fine. I thought maybe this could happen if my eyes are really dry from allergies? So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

My eyesight during the day is fine & I can see longer distances perfectly -- no blurriness or anything. Sometimes the print on the computer bothers me a little, but I figured that's probably eye strain. I can usually read on paper just fine, so I don't really think it's my vision. I've been near-sighted since I was a kid & my prescription is pretty strong. I just had an eye exam this past fall & my prescription changed slightly, so I got new glasses. But I don't think the glasses could be causing any issues since I've been wearing them for like 6 months now.

Another thing is that every morning my eyes are bloodshot, but that started the same time my allergies started. I put drops in & the redness goes away. I don't remember this happening during allergy season before, but I also wasn't hyper-focused on everything like I am right now. I also have a history of headaches, which I find now are either tension or sinus related.

I'd appreciate any input on this, especially from anyone who's experienced any or all of these issues. I do have a brain tumor fear, so this kind of stuff freaks me out. I do keep telling myself it's allergies & probably anxiety, but part of me wants to run to the doctor just to be sure. I know it sounds crazy. I did tell myself that if the trouble seeing in dim light continues, I'll see the eye doctor or at least call to see what they say. I'm just trying to resist the urge! I was fine all day yesterday, but I'm having the off balance feeling a little today. My allergies were a little worse this morning than they have been, so I'm betting that's what it is. Ugh. It's just annoying! Please put my mind at ease by sharing your experiences....
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Eye issues...allergies or anxiety??? Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »
I get everything you describe, every day.  I don't know where you live, but where I am at all the trees are pollinating at the very same time due to the late spring.  Allergies that are normally manageable have been HORRIBLE this spring.  This time of the year it mostly gives me headaches, lightheaded, and watery, itchy eyes.  This, on top of horrible HA and BINGO, it's a brain tumor or something stupid like that.

You might want to see the eye DR if you have glasses, perhaps your prescription is off a bit, but I'd more suspect that your issue is allergies.

Take Care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I'm in New England & yes, everyone here is saying allergies are really bad this year, too. Mine are just different this year than normal. Usually, I have stuffy/runny nose, itchy/watery eyes, itchy mouth & sometimes sinus headaches. This year (so far) I've head mostly head/ear congestion, sinus headaches/pressure & eye issues (red, dry/irritated, sometimes a little itchy). My nose sometimes is stuffy/runny in the morning, but then it's fine. So either my allergies are just different this year or they're just getting started.

I do think my eye sight is fine -- pretty sure it's a combo of allergies & anxiety. And yeah, it's so easy to have all these head issues & jump to the brain tumor conclusion right away. Because the obvious answer is too easy & logical.  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
One other thing I'd add is that it seems to me that every year my allergies are "different".  Sometimes it's the constant sneezing and runny nose, sometimes it's the eyes itching and watering all the time.  Sometimes it's the "bad" stuff (constant MASSIVE sinus headache, dizziness, pain, pressure, etc.)

So it's not just what you are allergic to, it's how your body reacts to it "this year"....

Also, allergies are cumulative meaning that it might take a couple days to get your allergies started, and a few days more when you are away from the allergen for things to "calm" back down.

Fun, eh?

p.s., I'm in the Midwest, so like you, the allergies are HORRIBLE this spring.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:13:57 PM »
My allergies are generally the same every year -- some years are worse than others. 3 years ago I had an awful itchy rash all over my body & the doctor said it was probably seasonal allergies. He gave me something for it & it eventually went away. Then I heard that other people had rashes that year, too. How weird! Our bodies definitely react differently to different things. Thanks for your input!  :happy0151:

Bookmark and Share

Tags: