Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I don't know if I am OCD, but maybe you can help...  (Read 125 times)

Offline bonitakeats

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I don't know if I am OCD, but maybe you can help...
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
Hi All,

I have never been diagnosed with OCD, but my husband says I am. He is always wanting me to go talk to someone (i don't think talking helps) and I've tried the medication and I feel just not myself on it. So I like to just walk around cold turkey.

I am a highly sensitive person to begin with so anything usually gets to me. However, I tend to have horribly fatalistic thoughts.. Which I think most people have them, but sometimes they just don't go away. For example, sometimes when my husband and myself go to the movies I get scared.. I especially get scared, because I think about the shooting that took place in Colorado and I imagine it happening as I am sitting their. I don't understand why I suddenly get these irrational fears. Another example is that I work in customer service and I sometimes deal with very very angry people. Sometimes I am scared that I will piss someone off so bad that they will come to my job and cause us harm. I am tired of thinking such stupid things because they are counter productive and really dont allow me to fully enjoy life.

I also have irrational fears of being raped and hurt. I am constantly mkaing sure the door is locked, if i am alone I watch over my shoulder, etc..

It sucks living life when you are scared ALL of the time or scared for the ones you love....

any advice? how do you deal with obsessive thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I don't know if I am OCD, but maybe you can help...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »
I don't know if you have OCD or not.  A lot of it depends on how many hours out of the day you're having obsessive thoughts.  If you don't have OCD it does sound like you have anxiety which can be very upsetting.  I have OCD, anxiety and depression.  Since meds didn't agree with you you might try exposure therapy if you are diagnosed with OCD.  It's a type of CBT where you're exposed to the obsession that upsets you but aren't allowed to do the compulsion that follows it.  Exposure therapy is done by a therapist trained in that and what is supposed to happen is your anxiety peaks when you're not allowed to do the compulsion and eventually your anxiety is supposed to subside.  Meds have helped me a lot, but something else that helps is try to live in the moment and enjoy life's simple pleasures.  Living in the moment helps keep me grounded.  Terrible things happen in this world, but it's also a beautiful world.  I'm sure you've heard the saying is the glass half empty or half full.  If you can focus in the moment on the positive and not worry about that terrible things COULD happen, but probably never will -- you may find yourself a lot happier.  Exercise is also helpful.  If all else fails you may want to think about trying meds again.  I don't know what you've tried but these days there are a lot more options.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline gtripoli

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I don't know if I am OCD, but maybe you can help...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »
I don't think anyone could confirm whether you have OCD or not on this forum. I would really recommend seeing a professional about it though. Sounds like you are definitely distressed by your thoughts and a professional will be able to help. It's hard to recover from something like this if you don't identify what it is first.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: