Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please tell me not to go to the hospital...  (Read 254 times)

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
Please tell me not to go to the hospital...
« on: May 18, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »
I slammed my hand really hard on a chair and my thumb is stiff and sore. it feels kinda swollen bellow it, and there's a bump sticking out. Now the busess won't be running until tuesday, so if i went to the hospital i'd be stranded. Please help me and tell me if this is serious or just something i could ignore. i can still type though using the thumb is a bit painful. if we put it into perspective, i can move all my fingers and my thumb but my palm feels very sore and a bit swollen. I've applied ice to it. none of the fingers need to be reset, but there is a little bump in my palm. A social worker assured me if something was broken i wouldn't be able to move my thumb and that it would hurt alot to try so.

So there is a lot of evidence against going to the hospital and not having to go. What do you think?
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please tell me not to go to the hospital...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
I'm not a doctor, but if you can use the hand it's probably just a bruise.  Keep icing it; might help the swelling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »
Absolutely no need to go.  If it was broken, you would definitely know.  I fell the other day and most of weight landed on my hand and I'm fine.  It's sore but definitely not broken.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »
Absolutely no need to go.  If it was broken, you would definitely know.  I fell the other day and most of weight landed on my hand and I'm fine.  It's sore but definitely not broken.

Hi guys its monday (the next day), the day the bussess aren't running. when i woke up I had a sharp pain in my hand that went down my wrist. the pain in my wrist is gone now that i'm up for the most part, but i'm worried about the sharp pain in my hand. I hit it really hard on a corner when I pushed a heavy chair really hard out of anger. So now I have this sharp pain in my hand, though it doesn't hurt as bad as yesterday. It only hurts when I move it. I have a bit of pain on the back of the hand too. I'm afraid, what if i broke a bone and its cutting off circulation too? I have a small sharp pain in the back of my hand too. None of these pains are unbearable or anything, and it's not swollen, but its a bit puffy on one side. Theres no obvious bruising though other than a little pink. Also what if my wrist is broken? I can move it fine... and all the pains are very minor.

Should I go to the hospital? If I go I will be stranded for 24 hours and not have any way to get home. That is a big fear of mine. I don't have any money for a cab home. Do you think I'm okay to stay home and that my hand will be okay?
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
Take it from someone who has broken half the bones in her body...you are fine!  Broken bones come with excruciating pain, a n intense burning sensation and major swelling.  Also the chances of cutting off circulation are nill.  I have set my own nose, toes, fingers, and even my right femur (although that was just a hairling fracture.). To put it in perspective here's what it took to break these bones:  soccer ball to the face, kicked by horses, thrown off horses at high speed, getting run over by a car.  Banging your hand on a chair is nothing to worry about.  Ice it and maybe wrap with an ace bandage, no ER visit needed.  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »
Take it from someone who has broken half the bones in her body...you are fine!  Broken bones come with excruciating pain, a n intense burning sensation and major swelling.  Also the chances of cutting off circulation are nill.  I have set my own nose, toes, fingers, and even my right femur (although that was just a hairling fracture.). To put it in perspective here's what it took to break these bones:  soccer ball to the face, kicked by horses, thrown off horses at high speed, getting run over by a car.  Banging your hand on a chair is nothing to worry about.  Ice it and maybe wrap with an ace bandage, no ER visit needed.  Hang in there!

are you sure? I'm noticing new pain in my wrist and a little swelling on the underside of my wrist but I could be wrong about the swelling and thinking its worse than it is. It hurts to type, I can put weight on the hand but not without pain... though the pain is minimal. my thumb feels weaker than usual, but I can still grab and move things with my hand. It does hurt to type though when I need to push on the space bar with my thumb.

I don't have any ace bandages but I can apply ice... I don't see any bruising except that pink spot that was there last night between my finger and thumb, kinda like a pink blotch.

Are you sure I didn't break my hand? Also how often should I apply ice?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »
Please stop obsessing...the more you poke at it the more it will hurt and swell.  I broke my toe a few months ago and trust me, the pain was intense and I could not move it at all.  If a butterfly had landed on it I would have screamed.

Ice it for ten mins ever hour and try not to move it if you don't have to.  You are fine!  Now go watch a movie or some tv to distract yourself and all will be well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Please stop obsessing...the more you poke at it the more it will hurt and swell.  I broke my toe a few months ago and trust me, the pain was intense and I could not move it at all.  If a butterfly had landed on it I would have screamed.

Ice it for ten mins ever hour and try not to move it if you don't have to.  You are fine!  Now go watch a movie or some tv to distract yourself and all will be well.

Thank you so much... I have one of those telephone nurse hotlines calling me back, i hope she doesn't say to go to the hospital because they put the fear of god in you. Thank you so much though, I feel good about what you're telling me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »
One quick word about those hotlines...If you are in the US they will often give you a worst case scenario just to cover their butts.  Nowadays everyone is so afraid of lawsuits they will send you to the doc for a hang nail so take whatever they say with several grains of salt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
One quick word about those hotlines...If you are in the US they will often give you a worst case scenario just to cover their butts.  Nowadays everyone is so afraid of lawsuits they will send you to the doc for a hang nail so take whatever they say with several grains of salt.

yeah they do the same here in canada just to cover their butts.  They sent me to the hospital over a stubbed toe once. am I still okay even if she says to go to the hospital? my forarm hurts a bit too on the underside in a spot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
I am starting to feel pins and needles kind of feeling in my fingers and thumb now... do you think its just somatic or is there something wrong with my hands blood supply... maybe its from wiggling my hand a bunch . the pain is much less now, but now i have this pins and needles kinda deal... I still have feeling in my hand though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »
Stop messing with your hand!!!!!  All this wiggling and poking is making things worse.  And tingling fingers are classic anxiety, if your circulation was compromised you hand would be turning blue.  You are working yourself into a tizzy over nothing.  Do some deep breathing and then do something to get your mind off it.  I would not go to the hospital no matter what the nurse says...you have first hand (get it?) experience with that ridiculousness.  Now get off the computer and go do something fun!
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
Stop messing with your hand!!!!!  All this wiggling and poking is making things worse.  And tingling fingers are classic anxiety, if your circulation was compromised you hand would be turning blue.  You are working yourself into a tizzy over nothing.  Do some deep breathing and then do something to get your mind off it.  I would not go to the hospital no matter what the nurse says...you have first hand (get it?) experience with that ridiculousness.  Now get off the computer and go do something fun!

I tried calling the local crisis line for support but they were rude and mean to me. The one woman i spoke with always is. I'm still getting tingling in my hand even though i'm not doing anything to it any more. am i going to be okay? those crisis workers have really made me miserable...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »
You are going to be fine.  This is not a crisis..it is a bruise.  The mind is amazing in that we can think ourselves into having symptoms that have no physical cause.  Please, please, please for the love of cute little kittens try to relax.  You are fine.  Step away from the computer, watch a movie, call a friend, play with your pets...it's going to be ok!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: