Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Memories of Past Anxiety  (Read 163 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Memories of Past Anxiety
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
This morning I was thinking of something that happened to me a few years ago.....it was a major anxiety attack, but there was a happy ending.  Maybe this story can give hope to someone who feels stuck. 

Well, I was taking some college courses around 2006, all centered around my field of study, Fine Arts, and the course I had to take was Art History II.  I had already taken Art History I , so I knew what was expected of me and how very difficult the course was.  Because of knowing how hard it was (although I studied night and day and came away with an A) I began to feel panic. 

The first day of class was rough, as I sat there I had a racing heart, felt sweaty etc.  The second day of class was the same, but this time I got up and left the room to compose myself.  When I went back in I didn't feel any better, so I gathered up my things, and went straight to the office to withdraw out of the class.

I felt disappointed in myself for giving up......but the next semester I tried again....not only did I stay the first and second day, but every day after that!  It was a hard class, but once again I came away with an A----and the note from my Instructor at the top of my last exam said, 'you are and excellent student'!!

There are silver-linings to moments of wanting to quit----those moments are ones that can make you stronger :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Memories of Past Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:44:20 PM »
I like that story, CarrieAnn.  I had a recent experience like that.  Last night some friends were having a farewell party
at a wine bar.  I love my friends who are graduating and moving out of town, but they tend to invite school chums who are very cliquish.
So I wasn't looking forward to the party, and I couldn't find anyone to accompany me.

I figured I'd put in my appearance.  Well it turns out that the people they invited from school were pretty friendly
and I enjoyed meeting new folks.  I'm not a wine drinker but I do like riesling which is a very sweet wine.
All in all, an event that I was dreading turned out to be delightful.  I love when that happens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Memories of Past Anxiety
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:07:37 PM »
Thank You Worldbeat for your reply!  I do find that I am that way too, envisioning a situation to be worse than it actually turns out to be---then I am happy that face whatever it is anyway.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: