Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How SSRIs work in the beginning?  (Read 299 times)

Offline Knopa

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How SSRIs work in the beginning?
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
Hi everyone. I am knew to this forum and really need help.
I currently started taking Zoloft 25 mg. First 2 days I felt spaced out, then I was feeling really good, but on the 6th day I started feeling like my head is moving inside my skull, that rocky boat feeling. Then on the 7th day, I started feeling moments like I will pass out and crazy adrenal rushes that I thought will lead to panic attack.

I wanted to ask, is it possible that side effects started after 7 days, or usually they start right away and go away with time. I got really scared as I haven't had a panic attack in like 4 month and I was off all meds, so I dont want to start having it because of zoloft again. Also, yesterday I was feeling very lightheaded the whole day. I liked the fact that my fatigue was much less, but I dont like lightheadness and feeling like I will faint, this could lead to panic attacks.

Also, i was to mention that I was on xanax for 7 month. I felt horrible on it, not knowing that the drug was doing it to me. Every time I told my doctor I feel bad he said its your anxiety keep on taking it. I didnt even realize that I was going thru constant interdose withdrawals. After 7 horrible month I decided to tapper off it. Its been 7 months and I still experience some withdrawals, but felt so much better off the med. Now I am going back to school, and my doctor says that I will crash again and need to take something, and even though my anxiety was not as bad he still told me to take zoloft. Also, while on xanax I was diagnosed with POTS which is autonomous nervous system disbalance. So its questionable if I have anxiety or POTS, symptoms overlap a lot.

Please help me with my zoloft. I dont know wether I should continue or not. I dont want to start having panic attacks that I had on xanax. Before xanax I never experienced any panic attacks in my life and never had anxiety.

Thanks all!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Believe in the power of the mind
    • Poke This Member
Re: How SSRIs work in the beginning?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
Hey Knopa, welcome to the forum! You're among friends here, and you're safe. You've found a good place.

As far as medications go, I would suggest you copy and paste this post into the Medications and Therapy section or maybe if a moderator finds it they'll move it over to that section. There's a very nice and helpful guy over there named insights that will take good care of you.

Hopefully this forum will be a help to you as it has been for so many, and welcome once again! :)

Cody
Bookmark and Share
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Offline Knopa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »
Hi, thanks for reply. I just posted it in the medication. Hopefully someone will reply. :)
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »
I wanted to ask, is it possible that side effects started after 7 days, or usually they start right away and go away with time.

Welcome to AnxietyZone,

Side-effects can begin within an hour of the first dose, or several weeks later, and many don't get them at all. They almost always diminish within a few weeks.

I got really scared as I haven't had a panic attack in like 4 month and I was off all meds, so I dont want to start having it because of zoloft again.

...Now I am going back to school, and my doctor says that I will crash again and need to take something, and even though my anxiety was not as bad he still told me to take zoloft.

If you've been symptom free for four months then I'm not convinced you need to take Zoloft, however, I don't know your history.

Please help me with my zoloft. I dont know wether I should continue or not. I dont want to start having panic attacks that I had on xanax. Before xanax I never experienced any panic attacks in my life and never had anxiety.

Then why were you prescribed Xanax?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Knopa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »
Hi, thanks for reply.
In Nov 2012 i got really sick, very fatigue, feet felt heavy, and just very weak. Doctor said its anxiety as it was right before my finals. Never had anxiety problem before in my life. In ER I was told I had mono virus. My primary insisted that its anxiety and put me on buspar. Took it for a month, dizzy the whole time so stopped. Then few month my grdanpa passed away, so doc said I am afraid you will crash emotionally lets start you on xanax. I had no clue what it was, but took it. He said take it as needed, so I was taking it every day, but always different doses, basically screwing up with my brain. Then he put me on lexapro, but not the smallest dose, felt horrible side effects stopped after 9 days. Continued on xanax. I hit tolerance and didnt even know about it. My whole system was screwed up. In May 2013 was diagnosed with POTS a type of autonomic nervous system disfunction. My blood pressure was dropping low, my pulse was going very high, had constant adrenal rushes, lightheadness became a daily thing for me, fear, body pains. Before this was totally healthy. Had to take a medical leave from school for a year. All my autonomic tests are negative for POTS but I show all symptoms of it. So in august I started tapering off xanax and by end of september was done. Felt horrible withdrawals for 3 month, but then started getting better. My Blood pressure and heart rate started normalizing, but I still experience orthostatic Intolarance symptoms and fatigue almost every day. But my anxiety is very low. I started doing things myself, shopping, going to places and stuff. I still have some social anxiety and might get lightheaded when go to eat out with friends, but I dont have anymore palpitations, no more adrenal rushes and last panic attack was in January.

So, thats my story. Now I am returning back to school and my doctor insisted on Zoloft. He said that stress from school might crash me again and my POTS symptoms will get worse again. I dont know what to do. I liked zoloft because it took away fatigue and its easier for me to stand for prolong time, but on the 7 day i started feeling those adrenalin rushes, feeling like I will pass out. This lasted for 2 hours, but then the lightheadness continued for the whole day.

Can this be a side effect from zoloft that just starts after 7 days? Or can it be my reaction to the med that can go on forever. Like on xanax I was always lightheaded. Also, can side effects appear later on and not right away? I am debating wether I should continue or stop.
Also, after taking it for 7 days, do I have to tapper or can just stop?

Thanks for reading my story.   
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:04:49 PM »
...My primary insisted that its anxiety and put me on buspar.

...so doc said I am afraid you will crash emotionally lets start you on xanax

...Now I am returning back to school and my doctor insisted on Zoloft

Get a new doctor! Seriously!!  You don't take psych meds just because you might develop a problem. Perhaps you will, but 20-25% of the human population will develop a psych disorders at some time in the lives, so do we force everyone onto antidepressants just in case? I think not.

All my autonomic tests are negative for POTS but I show all symptoms of it.

Then I'd be inclined not to accept the diagnosis.

Can this be a side effect from zoloft that just starts after 7 days?

Yes.

Or can it be my reaction to the med that can go on forever.

Unlikely, but not impossible. The side-effects are caused by the increase in serotonin activity, not only in the brain, but also other organs with a strong serotonin influence such as the gut, blood vessels and skin. The brain accounts for less than 2% of all the serotonin made. The brain will usually adapt to this after a few weeks by reducing serotonin synthesis and expression.

Also, can side effects appear later on and not right away?

The SSRIs usually produce few ongoing side-effects. The one that bothers many is that they can dampen the libido.

Also, after taking it for 7 days, do I have to tapper or can just stop?

You won't have become dependent in only 7 days so you should be able to stop without difficulty.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Knopa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »
Hi Ian, thanks for reply. Can I also ask, are lightheadness one of the common symptoms? And also, that rocky boat feeling? I had that feeling for a long time but it started subsiding after I withdrew from xanax. I always wonder, if its anxiety giving me lightheadness or what is going on. However, sometimes I can only experience lightheadness and no other anxiety symptoms.
As far as my anxiety symptoms, most of them are gone, but still have some, like fatigue, lightheadness. Lightheadness were minimal, but after starting zoloft I started feeling them again.
Ohh, i dont know what to do. I am willing to take zoloft if these lightheadness go away, but also very scared that it might make them worse.

Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 11:53:44 PM »
are lightheadness one of the common symptoms? And also, that rocky boat feeling?

Yes, and yes. In both cases of anxiety itself and also as initial antidepressant side-effects.

I am willing to take zoloft if these lightheadness go away, but also very scared that it might make them worse.

It may become worse initially, but it is not likely to persist, though as with all these antidepressant induced side-effects, it may return for a while whenever the dose is increased.

Ohh, i dont know what to do.

I suggest you get a second opinion from another doctor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Knopa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »
Hi again. Sorry but I have another question. Is it possible to have anxiety if I only experience symptoms of lightheadness, fatigue, and that severe rocky boat feeling. I dont feel other anxiety symptoms like palpitations, racing heart beat. I used to have it, but since I got off xanax, it went away, also my panic attacks went away when I stopped xanax. It looks like I hit tolerance fast on xanax so it was giving me mild panic attacks and adrenalin rushes all the time.

Now I just feel fatigue, and those severe rocky boat feelings.

Thanks. 
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
Is it possible to have anxiety if I only experience symptoms of lightheadness, fatigue, and that severe rocky boat feeling.

While all three are common anxiety symptoms, on their own they are not enough for an anxiety diagnosis. As per my previous post, I think you should seek a second opinion. From the description of your treatment I'm not convinced your doctor is on the right track.

It looks like I hit tolerance fast on xanax so it was giving me mild panic attacks and adrenalin rushes all the time.

Was it tolerance, which is rare, or inadequate dosing? Xanax has a very short half-life, a mean of about 12 hours, so needs to be taken 2-3 times a day.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: