Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Medication and sex drive  (Read 122 times)

Offline anxious J

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Medication and sex drive
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:59:24 AM »
Can medication for anxiety actually increase sex drive if it's the anxiety & depression that is actually causing low sex drive in first place ? As my docter now seems to think it is the cause after running blood test for hormone levels & them coming back all normal ? It has come to the point where it is now reigning my life in so many aspects .. I have tried cbt in the past which has failed to help i have been referred again but am really considering trying an antidressant to help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Medication and sex drive
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
Can medication for anxiety actually increase sex drive if it's the anxiety & depression that is actually causing low sex drive in first place ?

Depends on which antidepressant. Most of them are likely to make things worse as antidepressants have a deserved reputation for causing sexual dysfunction. They may improve your sex drive but lessen your ability to do anything about it.

The ones that usually don't are bupropion (Wellbutrin), mirtazapine (Remeron) and trazodone (Desyrel). Bupropion is by far the most stimulating antidepressant that can have those with anxiety literally climbing the walls and mirtazapine is the antidepressant most likely to stop working. Trazodone can actually enhance the libido so would be the pick of the three. It's major disadvantage is that it is very sedating at low doses, though this eases once you're in the therapeutic dose range of 225mg plus. The slow release version also tends to be less sedating.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »
I just read that 20 minutes of exercise a day helps with low libido caused by antidepressants
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline Raptick Nead

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »
I've had a helluva time switching out meds and their side effects. Wellbutrin really did the trick for awhile, no sexual side effects, but then I took my does too close apart and I got really irrational and gripey with the urge to do a lot of destructive impulsive things.  Another drug pretty much numbed me, but switching to Remeron helped, and the Buspar seems to have no iffy side effects. Zoloff pretty much made me interested in nothing. :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:17 PM »
I just read that 20 minutes of exercise a day helps with low libido caused by antidepressants

Maybe. It's also very good for anxiety and depression. You might also find this useful.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: