Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Major Palpitations  (Read 118 times)

Offline bradwach

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Major Palpitations
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
Hello All,

I had a relatively scary incident this morning.  I was out of town on business and was just about to leave my hotel room when I got hit by the worst palpitations I have ever had.  It was several in a row that took my breath away. I immediately panicked and could not calm myself down.  This led to shortness of breath and ultimately palpitations kept hitting me.  My palpitations generally tend to be skipped beat sensations.  My pulse also felt irregular.  I have been battling palps for 2 years now but usually it is just 1 and it is gone.  Sometimes those single palps take my breath away as well.

I don't do this but I was very worried so I drove myself to an ER, which was in a very small town.  They hooked me up to an EKG for a while and nothing showed up, of course.  My heart rate was good. So, I was discharged within 1 hour.

I have been to a cardiologist twice after initially being diagnosed with a heart murmur (I am 37).  I have had 3 Echo's and all normal.  Cardio said it is probably mitral valve prolapse and nothing to worry about.  Well, this last instance has me worried again. 

Has anybody been through this? What could cause these multiple palps? I am really stressing out about this so any feedback and advice will be incredibly helpful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Major Palpitations
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
Were they the kind that feel like your heart stops and then punches you in the chest from the inside?  It's normal to get a bunch of those in a row at times.  They're harmless, just scary. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline KirklandHarris

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 02:57:19 PM »
I had some pretty bad ones at the height of my anxiety. When it skips it almost feels like you'd died for a split second. Really scary stuff. After I tried not to worry so much they started to subside after a week and pretty much went away after another week or two.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
I first got them at age 30, they lasted for 4 hours, happening every 30 seconds.  It would feel like my heart would stop, like a hollow feeling at times and then POUND. They have been happening on and off SINCE then (I'm 55).  I also get the kind where I feel fluttering in my upper chest/throat and it will tickle and I have to cough.   It kept happening when I'd start to shovel snow this past winter.  (all it would take was for me to LOOK at a snow shovel and the fluttering would start!)  I finally got mad at myself and plowed right through it and they stopped.   And yes, you WILL feel it in your pulse.  I had tests for that back when I was 30, then I had other tests in 2010 (echo, nuclear stress test) - NO problems at all.  I was getting them pretty bad again last week, every few minutes for an hour or so.  They'd start around 5pm! I'm fine again.  They say it's very common.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: