Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: UPSIDES to being a hypochondriac  (Read 293 times)

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
UPSIDES to being a hypochondriac
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »
You know, all my anxiety causes me to think a lot. I tend to over think in general, but when i'm nervous my brain really gets active.

I've been thinking, "are there upsides to being a obsessed hypochondriac?" and i've actually come up with a few.

1. You collect endless amounts of health info Knowing about health and health problems can really help you out in life. The quicker you know what's wrong with you, the quicker you can get treated.

2. You become happy just to be alive after I recovered from my anxiety, the few months that followed were some great times. Before I experienced HA, I complained about the stupidest things. I was pretty ungreatful. Now, i'm just happy to be alive, and healthy. (at least I think i'm healthy haha)

3. things you used to fear don't phase you I have a terrible fear of bugs, especially house centipedes. They give me the heeby-jeebies. Although, when I was at the peak of my anxiousness, I killed a centipede just using my fist, and continued on my way. Nothing was going to separate me from the good night sleep I was craving. Nothing.

4 Finally, you become even closer to the things you love I love to skateboard. Like, a lot. More than someone like me should. After I recovered, skateboarding seemed even greater. It was my friend. It was there to hold my hand and help me up from my anxiety hole. When i'm skating, nothing matters. Politics, global warming, health problems, any fear I experience simply floats away.

So, I hope this post helps you out when you're feeling scared. Good things can come from the worse of things. If you're going through hell, keep going.

have a great day!  ;D
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: UPSIDES to being a hypochondriac
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »
Whenever one of my friends is having concerns about their health, I always know about ten benign causes for what they're experiencing, or know that the disease they fear is super-rare/not really as dangerous as they think, etc. 

I can't stand house centipedes either.  I've only in the last couple of years gotten to the point where I can dump them outside my apartment rather than squish them. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 09:20:41 PM »
I really relate to 2 and 3.  Every day I am so happy to be alive.  I used to be so focused on my career and finances, but now I am learning to enjoy life.  I also used to get so nervous when I had to give a presentation at work, now I am much more relaxed about it because to me I realize my health is what really matters.  I also was so over my job and frantically searching every day for a new one, but now I am just thankful I have a job and am healthy enough to make it there every day! I've gotten more in tune with my spirituality too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SE4000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »
Hey man. I can really relate to #2. I'm never going to take things for granted again when this is over with.

That being said, one upside is you can really learn to laugh at yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Believe in the power of the mind
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 02:02:15 AM »
One upside I've experienced is that it's really pushed me to get out of the house and become more social and active. Before my anxiety started, I always just stayed at home, often by myself, and played video games, or watched TV or a movie, and while that's fine every now and then, I never really hang out with the people I called "friends." Once my anxiety started, I quickly realized being at home by myself not only scared the crap out of me but it also left me alone to my devices, which is never a good situation to be in when you have anxiety. To counter this, I started making plans with friends to go out and have a good time and do things I never would've even thought about doing before because it's way better than sitting at home being anxious. If I can't manage to get plans made with anyone, I'll go for a walk and enjoy the outdoors I had so frugally neglected for so long. It's also gotten to the point where I'm exercising now and eating right to reassure myself about the health of my heart and body.
Bookmark and Share
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
I'm glad you guys can connect  :-* The more I think about my situation, the more courage I have to face it. You just need to accept it, and through that you become stronger.
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"