Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Maybe celexa  (Read 175 times)

Offline Drielly84

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Maybe celexa
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
Spoke to the psych on call and she feels since I was on celexa before pregnancy that I should just try that
Questions
Before I got pregnant the celexa at 40 mg with 25 of trazedone were just making my anxiety tolerable I was on them for 12 yrs so should I even bother to try it again since it was not as effective?

I've taken zoloft last night and this morning could u I just switch with no issues?

Should I give the zoloft an actual chance since I'm starting on such a low dose?

It seems that ssris make me more anxious nervous not sleep well and not hungry at first
But my current psych said that these side effects r not common (I'm switching psychs. On Monday)
Will my worry and obsession about not sleeping well end? I feel this is a cause of the bad anxiety I've had for aw awhile now

Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Maybe celexa
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
Hi Drielly...

I know that you just started taking Zoloft, and from your recent posts I doubt if you are on a therapeutic dose yet, that being 50 mg for this SSRI anti-depressant.  Also, many people with anxiety disorders find that it takes 100-150 mg of Zoloft to obtain good anxiety relief.  I have a friend of mine that is on 200 mg.

Anti-depressants don't work like other medications that you may be familiar with.  When you take an aspirin for a headache, you expect to see some relief beginning in 30-60 minutes.  Anti-depressants work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells and their connections, in the hippocampus region of the brain.  Brain cells in the area can become damaged or destroyed by stress hormones such as cortisol.  Once you reach a therapeutic dose, that being at least 50 mg for Zoloft, one usually sees degrees of improvement between 3 and 12 weeks, and beyond.

Since you were on the maximum dose of Celexa for such a long time, and felt it was not very effective for you, I fail to see why your doctor wants to switch you over to that.  The Zoloft is barely getting into your system, hasn't had near enough time to work, and is showing you normal side effects at this point.

I am also very puzzled that your psychiatrist would tell you that the side effects of increased anxiety, insomnia, and loss of appetite, are not normal when starting an SSRI anti-depressant.  These are "classic" symptoms of starting an SSRI.  I had them some six months ago when I started a new anti-depressant, and they lasted some 2-3 weeks before rapidly diminishing.

I hope this helps to answer your questions Drielly, and put your mind at ease.

The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »
2 weeks ago I started zoloft at 50 mg for a few days  and then 25 for a few more totaling at 9 days on zoloft and I was miserable
I stopped taking it for 6 days and started zoloft at 12.5 again yesterday
Hopefully that may help me adjust better
It's just hard being pregnant and feeling like I'm back at square one like I was when I was 17 :(
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
Before I got pregnant the celexa at 40 mg with 25 of trazedone were just making my anxiety tolerable I was on them for 12 yrs so should I even bother to try it again since it was not as effective?

If you were at the recommended maximum Celexa dose and it wasn't working as well as you wanted then IMHO there is no point going back. You are likely to need a higher dose now, but this is problematic given the pregnancy. The initial side-effects are likely to be just as severe as those from Zoloft.

I've taken zoloft last night and this morning could u I just switch with no issues?

Yes

Should I give the zoloft an actual chance since I'm starting on such a low dose?

IMHO, yes.

It seems that ssris make me more anxious nervous not sleep well and not hungry at first
But my current psych said that these side effects r not common

Heightened anxiety and insomnia are very common SSRI side-effects, lack of appetite less so. They generally ease after a few weeks, but may return if the dose is increased.

Will my worry and obsession about not sleeping well end? I feel this is a cause of the bad anxiety I've had for aw awhile now

They should do as your anxiety is bought under control.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
Thank you Ian you are so knowledgable and a big help!
Yeah After talking with my hubby and him pointing out how agrophobic and more anxious I was becoming the lat couple of years on celexa I think it's time for a change
I just don't get how I celexa stopped working and zoloft is similar than how could zoloft work? It just boggles my min because they are both so similar

Hopefully I won't need the trazedone with the zoloft but I think it will be okay to take just like I did with the celexa
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »
I just don't get how I celexa stopped working and zoloft is similar than how could zoloft work?

They may both be SSRIs, but each affects receptors a little differently. There are even some difference between Celexa and Lexapro despite each has the exact same active chemical, the only difference being Celexa also contains an equal amount of the almost inactive isomer of it. So while there are no guarantees, it is likely that Zoloft will work even though Celexa wasn't towards the end.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: