Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic that starts, stops, starts again... can anyone tell me?  (Read 444 times)

Offline Ditapage

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I keep having anxiety symptoms without having full blown panic attacks. I know anxious thoughts are fuelling the symptoms and I try to do deep breathing and distraction and it goes down, but then it starts up again. Is that normal with GAD/Panic disorder? I thought panic attacks were just short bursts of intense symptoms (and I've had those too) but these limited symptom attacks are hard to cope with because they can keep flaring up again (and I feel jittery, out of breath, weak, head spinning, derealisation, sore back of neck, jaw, need to get out NOW feeling) when I think I have calmed down. Can anyone relate?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic that starts, stops, starts again... can anyone tell me?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
Yes, I can totally relate.  WHat you're doing is anticipating now, which is stimulating the anxiety, and that almost (if not) becomes as bad as an actual panic attack becuase you're fightingthe feling all day long.  I unerstand.  I'm going through it too, and it's not my first time.  But, I can reassure you it does go away when you take your meds and talk.  This is extremely important that you have a therapist to talk tp, and you should be on appropriate medication.  ALso, keep busy and reach out to friends.  This is important as well.

I'll be thinkingabout you and hoping for a quick recovery for you!

Julie

P.S.  Also try the chat room.  Supportive people who understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kavenchols

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:13:11 AM »
Unfortunately, worrying about all the things that could go wrong doesn’t make life any more predictable—it only keeps you from enjoying the good things happening in the present. Learn to accept uncertainty and not require immediate solutions to life’s problems.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jalapeno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
I keep having anxiety symptoms without having full blown panic attacks. I know anxious thoughts are fuelling the symptoms and I try to do deep breathing and distraction and it goes down, but then it starts up again. Is that normal with GAD/Panic disorder? I thought panic attacks were just short bursts of intense symptoms (and I've had those too) but these limited symptom attacks are hard to cope with because they can keep flaring up again (and I feel jittery, out of breath, weak, head spinning, derealisation, sore back of neck, jaw, need to get out NOW feeling) when I think I have calmed down. Can anyone relate?

I know exactly how you feel... The past few days have been like that for me. I haven't felt this way in about 3 or 4 months. It sucks so much... If I'm not crazy busy- I'll lay on my back and try belly breathing. I put a cold, wet washcloth on my forehead and I just try to sleep through it... It helps most of the time...
I agree with Julie about finding a therapist though- and the sooner, the better. It took me about 2 years to finally see a doctor about my anxiety (right now it's the worse that it's ever been), and she prescribed me a med for it. She'll be giving me another med for the severe attacks, too... I've been hesitant about taking it though- I'll probably start taking it tomorrow...
I'm also in the hunt for a therapist right now (with the help of my doctor), as well. I think you should definitely find a therapist as soon as you can, too. I'm sure it'll help you a lot!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jane Sander

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 05:49:25 AM »
Hi guys,

Well, firstly panic attacks (or panic attack disorder) is a different thing to anxiety (or generalised anxiety disorder).

Panic are short bursts of intense discomfort and dread that usually reach a peak within 15 minutes, whereas anxiety is a lot less intense but can have a kind of dull feeling that is always there or at the very least, frequently there.

There are good articles throughout the internet on the difference between the two.

http://calmandserenity.com/anxiety/what-is-anxiety
http://www.calmandserenity.com/panic-attacks/what-is-a-panic-attack/

Those are two great short introductory articles but there are more available. Just have a look at the symptoms of both of them :)
Bookmark and Share
I sometimes write for www.calmandserenity.com which is a resource site by a few members of Health Anxiety Forum to help sufferers of panic and anxiety.

http://www.calmandserenity.com

Proud Headspacer :P

Offline Journey2Calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
This has happened to me as well and it SUCKS, so I can definitely relate.   I find that this might happen for a few days in a row, then it magically disappears, so I just try my best to ride it out.  Easier said than done, I know.  Another thing I find to be helpful is to "invite" the panic attack.  Welcome it to happen with the mentality, of "lets just do this and get it done with" vs fighting it off all day.  I am sorry you are going through this, it's so tough.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: