Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Celexa  (Read 309 times)

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Celexa
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »
I was told by a friend that Celexa was not for anxiety Prozac was. I am on celexa 20 mg and was wondering. It has helped my anxiety even from the beginning. I have developed HA and still worry about that I wonder how much can the medicine do. I also developed insomnia trying to get back on Prozac so that is why I switched to celexa. I would rather be on Prozac but have a fear of not sleeping so I make things worse. I know you can take trazodone and have a prescription for it. Can you take it for years I feel I will have to be on medicine the rest of my life. I also am older 59. I am afraid of the heart thing with celexa and that is why I am concerned with taking it and even going up on it. I have been on it for 8 months. does the insomnia go away? I feel like I am going in circles.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Celexa
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »
I was told by a friend that Celexa was not for anxiety Prozac was.

No antidepressant is intrinsically better than any other, either generally, or for a specific disorder, though one or two may be for you. Prozac is usually the most stimulating SSRI which can be a problem for some with anxiety, though it may be a positive for depression.

Can you take it for years I feel I will have to be on medicine the rest of my life.

Yes, both Celexa and trazodone can be taken for the rest of your life if needed.

I am afraid of the heart thing with celexa and that is why I am concerned with taking it and even going up on it.

It may or may not become an issue late in life. I'm older than you and have been taking the most cardio-toxic antidepressant of the all, dosulepin (Dothep), at well above the maximum recommended dose for 20 years so it's something that concerns me too. I have an EKG every couple of years and so far there is no evidence that my heart is being affected, though that could change as I get older. The risk is much, much  smaller with Celexa, but it should be monitored regularly as you age.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
I never knew celexa could cause heart issues :( since I'm off it  do I still have a risk? Anyhow I've had countless EKGS during the years cause my anxiety gives me palpitations
I guess it just has to be monitored
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »
I never knew celexa could cause heart issues :( since I'm off it  do I still have a risk?

This was only discovered a couple of years ago and is the reason the recommended maximum dose was reduced from 60mg to 40mg. It is only a potential problem for those with specific heart issues while they are taking the Celexa (and Lexapro). It does not cause ongoing issues so you have nothing to worry about. There are many other meds including some antibiotics and even heart meds which also affect the electrical system of the heart this way.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »
Ian, I am still not getting this. what has to be wrong with the heart to cause you to have a problem? I forgot about antibodics like I remember hearing Z pak could cause it too. you and I were talking about aging and the heart what would happen if they found in a ekg that you had this would you have to go off the medication? I know I over think everything. I am seeing the Pdr Tues to discuss my meds and I don't know what to do. I feel I am going in a circle. I feel the celexa has helped about 90 percent but I am worried about a lot of things. I know that increases my anxiety. I feel I still have some weak spells maybe not as severe. I know I would go back on the Prozac if it wasn't for the sleep issue. I know I can take trazodone but I don't like the thought of having to take something for sleep. I am afraid to go up on the celexa because of the heart issue. if you had the heart problem does it always mean death? wow so many questions I hope this doesn't scare anyone.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »
what has to be wrong with the heart to cause you to have a problem?

These meds may cause a specific part of the heart beat, the QTc interval (PDF), to become prolonged. In individuals with some heart conditions this may stop the heart. 

you and I were talking about aging and the heart what would happen if they found in a ekg that you had this would you have to go off the medication?

It depends on my circumstances at the time. If still in good health otherwise then yes. But if not then I'd probably take my chances. I'm much more concerned about how I go than actually being gone. Dying can be a very miserable drawn out experience. There are far, far worse ways of checking out than heart failure.

I am afraid to go up on the celexa because of the heart issue.

Provided to stick to the recommended maximum Celexa dose of 40mg/day, you are not going to have any problems. My situation is different as I'm taking well above the recommended maximum dose of the antidepressant known to be the most cardio toxic by a considerable margin, so I need to be more careful. However, an EKG every year or two should detect a problem before it becomes a serious issue.

if you had the heart problem does it always mean death?

No, but it increases the likelihood. That said, even with high risk drugs such as the heartburn med cisapride the risk of death is only 1 in 100,000. I don't know what it is for very high dose Celexa, but you can probably add several zeros.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Tags: