Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety.. Need advice  (Read 107 times)

Offline srg

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety.. Need advice
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm coming here because I literally feel like I'm losing my mind and don't know what to do.

For the past two weeks I've been having anxiety. Not necessarily anxiety attacks, but I've been having a constant nervous feeling throughout most of the day.

It all started when I was out shopping with my sister. I had to go to the bathroom really bad (I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant and made the mistake of having breakfast that contained lactose). I have a huge fear of throwing up and every time my stomach hurts really bad or feels weird, I immediately freak out and am afraid of throwing up. So I told her I needed to go to the bathroom and I went and when I came out my stomach was still feeling weird and that caused me to have an anxiety attack. We went into the dressing room to try on clothes and I literally just sat on the chair in there in a ball trying to calm myself down. I told my sister I was having an anxiety attack because it runs in the family and she understands. I asked her if we can go home because I just wanted to be home and lay down. I had anxiety for the rest of that day. The next day I had to go to work (I work at McDonald's) and I ended up calling out because I was having an anxiety attack right before work. I was afraid that my stomach was going to feel the way it did the day before and I didn't want to be at work during that. I called out the next day as well because I was just so afraid to leave my house. I felt comfortable being home because if I did need to go to the bathroom I could just go whenever I needed to.

On top of all of this, I've had absolutely no appetite these past two weeks and lost about 5 pounds. This is causing me to feel so lightheaded and have no energy. All last week I had finals for school (I'm a junior in college) and every time I would get ready to leave the house, I would have anxiety. Not even about the exams, but about leaving the house.

I went to the doctors last Tuesday and he put me on .5 Xanax. I don't know what caused the anxiety to last for two weeks. I thought it was just because I was stressed from school but they're still going on and I don't know why. I told my boss everything that was going on and he took me out of work for the week to relax. This was probably my biggest mistake because I've been sitting at home all week with thoughts running through my head. I tried going to work last Friday without taking a Xanax and had to leave early after about 3 hours because I was so lightheaded and nauseous from barely eating all day which was making me have anxiety.

This past weekend I was feeling okay on Saturday and Sunday, maybe it was because I knew I didn't have to go to work and could just relax? On Monday morning my parents left for vacation and I started going downhill again. My parents are my rock and just having their company makes me feel better. I had the pressure on me of taking care of the house and our 2 dogs and 2 cats by myself.

I'm just so confused because 2 weeks ago I was perfectly fine. I was happy and normal. I don't know what happened. It's like within a day everything just came crashing down and I don't know how to make things go back to how they were and I'm so afraid that they won't. I get so frustrated and just cry because I know I have nothing to worry about, but I just can't seem to snap out of this. I go back to work on Saturday and just thinking about getting through my shift makes me nervous. I just want my happy and healthy life back. I've had anxiety my whole life but it's only been like an anxiety attack once every couple of months and that was it. I've never experienced anything like this and I don't want to rely on Xanax to make me feel better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel helpless and I'm losing hope.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety.. Need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:07:59 AM »
You are unintentionally making it worse by using phrases like "helpless". See, anxiety is a function of your sympathetic nervous system. This is important because that part of your brain cannot directly observe the world. It can only interpret the world through your more active thoughts. So when you use phrases like those, that part of your brain thinks its true. Otherwise, why would you be saying them?

Helplessness would release adrenaline because it doesnt know what exactly is wrong, and adrenaline is its all-purpose contingency plan. So at this point, your brain is confused and thinks something is very wrong, because its entire purpose is to save your life from threats.

Fortunately you can also fix it in a similar manner. By not reacting to anxiety feelings, not changing your plans, and reminding yourself that its a temporary bad feeling, you can stop it. Though it won't be easy or fast, it will work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrsm1217

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety.. Need advice
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »
Hey! I am exactly where you are right now. Like the previous post states.....try not to use words like helpless. I try to think positive all day, but it has been tough. I'm on day 12 of being anxious, no appetite and of course being weak b/c I'm barely eating. This is the longest I've ever dealt with anxiety. I feel better when people are around especially my husband. But I try to find peace in every moment.....sometimes that's hard b/c I'm a stay at home mom to a toddler :) Reading post of people with my similar issues gives me a little peace too. It makes me feel like I'm not alone and not losing my mind. I have faith that it will be ok. Just encourage yourself.....know that you are stronger than this and that you will overcome. Also, I find snacking throughout the day helps with the weak feeling.....which in turn stops me from freaking out. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: