Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How to deal with intrusive thoughts?  (Read 206 times)

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How to deal with intrusive thoughts?
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »
I've had spurts of intrusive thoughts since the start of 2013. I've had about 3 "spurts" of them and then they go away. I want to know how to deal with them without being afraid of myself during the time they are present. I'm afraid I'm going crazy? The first two times it was me being afraid of going crazy and hurting my boyfriend... I ended up throwing all the knives in my house out and that stopped the fear of hurting him... crazy to throw out my knives but it worked (they were dollar store knives anyways.)

This time it started on Monday and I thought what if I did "this"  (hurt myself) and I was just in a panic like Oh my god the last thing I want to do is hurt myself I'm no where near suicidal AT ALL and now I'm once again afraid I'll go crazy and hurt myself or someone in my family.

How can I shut these horrible thoughts off? I'm so scared of going crazy  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxiousmind77

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How to deal with intrusive thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:28:24 PM »
Hi Kristin, sorry you are going through a tough time. I know exactly how you feel. I have been there time and time again. The advise I can offer to you is this. Do not try to push your thoughts away. Do not avoid them. Now don't deliberately bring them on either. Let them be there. Let them swim around then watch them float away. You are not going crazy. One thing I always heard that made me feel a little better was " crazy people don't know they are crazy." You obviously don't want to hurt yourself because if you did you would not be so distraught over the thought of it. Lastly, distraction. Keep yourself busy. Pick up a new hobby. Go out w friends or fam, even if you don't feel like you can handle it. You can. Live your life. Feel better friend. Take care:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline andrea34

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How to deal with intrusive thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:02:07 AM »
Hi Kristin...
I have thoughts that I'm losing it and that I'm going to have a breakdown and lose touch. These thoughts can be so powerful. I want to find ways to strengthen my mind mentally. The thoughts really scare me. It's awful.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: