Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: IBS, Constipation and Dark Stools? Help!!  (Read 275 times)

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
IBS, Constipation and Dark Stools? Help!!
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
For the past week now I've tried drinking coffee again, haven't had any in 2 months. I have IBS-C and had been suffering from gastritis (post-H. Pylori infection) for a couple months. The gastritis seemed to be gone/healed recently, so I started coffee again... nothing crazy though, just half a cup every morning.

Well since I started drinking again, I've noticed my stools have become very dark! Dark brown, almost black? Hard to tell. Their consistency is about the same (harder, dealing with constipation atm), although at times they seem a little slimy. I stopped drinking coffee after this continued for a couple days now.

I'm hoping this is more a dietary sign and NOT internal bleeding. Lately I've been eating cocoa pebbles, chocolate almond milk ice cream and other things with cocoa powder (the DGL tablets daily also have cocoa powder). Still! A little scary, especially the slimy part...

Little abdominal pain (left, low), not much different from regular IBS stuff. Thoughts? Advice? I'm hoping to avoid a doctor visit but this problem has been very persistent...
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: IBS, Constipation and Dark Stools? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:40:31 AM »
I would well imagine it is all the dark foods you are eating. Whatever we put into our bodies comes back out. Eat a lot of green ice cream and you will poop green. Simple as that. Have had it happen before. Dark foods can change the colour of things in the bathroom area. If things don't clear up have a word with your doctor. He may tell you what food are good to eat for such things.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Re: IBS, Constipation and Dark Stools? Help!!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I already got seen about it, rectal exam and everything (always awkward).

No internal bleeding, she thought it was the DGL tablets I'd been taking. She said stool colors are easily changed due to diet. Phew! :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions