Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Retinal Migraines - Anyone??  (Read 71 times)

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Retinal Migraines - Anyone??
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »
Hello,

I am just trying to figure out more about Retinal migraines. These are one eye'd migraines (not classic aura that happen in both eyes)

I get a visual disturbance for about a minute in one eye a few days after getting a bout of classic migraines (with aura) These one eyed 'things' have no pain, just a visual disturbance (stars, sparkles etc) in ONE eye for about 1 minute only.

Are these retinal migraines? Most of what I have read say intermittent blindness in one eye.. but 'other visual disturbances' is mentioned. They've been happening for 4 years and got no worse.

I'm worried they will leave me blind (THANKS GOOGLE) if they are retinal migraines..

Does anyone have them and can advise me? What are yours like if so? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Retinal Migraines - Anyone??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »
I have these. I've had them for about four years now. I have been diagnosed with classic ocular migraines after having a CT Scan and MRI. Mines happen in one eye, my right eye and I loose vision in it for about a minute, not long at all. I am still able to see out of my other eye during these episodes. I just had one last night actually.

I know when its going to happen. I feel a funny "brain buzz", I can't explain it, its just a funny feeling where I know its coming.

Slowly my right eye vision becomes cloudy, like I've been staring at a flashing camera and the lights have burned into my vision. This is followed by sparkles, very bright, where it almost looks like I'm looking into my brain because the sparkles look like glowing bright veins or something. Really weird stuff. Then my vision slowly returns.

Some times its worse than other times. I get this after I've had a migraine buy they can be triggered by bright light, straining my vision and PMS. Basically the same things that would trigger a migraine. The event itself is painless and not followed by painful migraine.

I have always known them to be called ocular migraines and they can happen in just one eye. They are usually pain free. Basically its a type of migraine with aura. Its harmless but some people can have one happen for 30 minutes or more. I have heard people call them retinal migraines before as well. My neurologist never mentioned them being dangerous or causing permanent damage. The only issue they can cause is a higher risk of stroke.

I don't want to know if they are dangerous and stuff. My anxiety levels have been higher than usual these days and dang it, the last thing I want to think about is going blind along with everything else I got going on.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Retinal Migraines - Anyone??
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the comment J uno! It's really helped.

It seems what we have is very similar! crazy...

Mine don't effect my entire vision, just parts of it. And that varies it can be quite a bit and sometimes hardly any... and i can still see out of both eyes, the other one just goes wired with the symptoms I said above.

Its interesting you mention anxiety - I started getting these at the same time I had really bad anxiety and subsequent derealization for 4 months. I don't know if something changed in my body/brain - but the link seems to be there. I never had them before my anxiety became so high that it left me derealized for months.

Who knows? I don't know for sure if these are "migraines" but I know they are related to my migraines with aura. That's the only time they happen (after i've had a few migraines) and I don't fully lose vision or go black etc...

Thanks for the comment again. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: retinal migraine aura