Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How many weeks to come off Venlafaxine?  (Read 124 times)

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How many weeks to come off Venlafaxine?
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
Hello,

I took Venlafaxine for about 3 months, but am in the process of weaning off it. The first week I took 37.5 mg, the second week and on I took 75 mg once a day.

I dropped down from 75mg to 37.5 about a month ago to start the weaning process (Psych told me to do this.) after doing this for a month, I went back to see the Psych and he told me it was safe to just stop taking the meds all together. Everything I've read said not to do that, unless I want to be really messed up.

So I've been weaning myself off by counting the granules in the pill and reducing them slowly( crazy I know!) I can't afford another Psych visit with someone else, so I've been doing this for about two weeks.

Should I just stop taking the pills at this point, or still reduce the granules? So far I haven't had too bad of withdrawal symptoms, just really irritable and annoyed, also slight headaches and visual disturbances.

Thank you for any info.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: How many weeks to come off Venlafaxine?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
I dropped down from 75mg to 37.5 about a month ago to start the weaning process (Psych told me to do this.) after doing this for a month, I went back to see the Psych and he told me it was safe to just stop taking the meds all together. Everything I've read said not to do that, unless I want to be really messed up.

So I've been weaning myself off by counting the granules in the pill and reducing them slowly( crazy I know!) I can't afford another Psych visit with someone else, so I've been doing this for about two weeks.

Given the short time you were on it, I think you could have stopped as your psychiatrist suggested. After another 2 weeks at around 19mg? you are even less likely to have serious withdrawal issues if you stop now.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How many weeks to come off Venlafaxine?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »
Thank you very much!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: