Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How many weeks to come off Venlafaxine?  (Read 196 times)

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How many weeks to come off Venlafaxine?
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
Hello,

I took Venlafaxine for about 3 months, but am in the process of weaning off it. The first week I took 37.5 mg, the second week and on I took 75 mg once a day.

I dropped down from 75mg to 37.5 about a month ago to start the weaning process (Psych told me to do this.) after doing this for a month, I went back to see the Psych and he told me it was safe to just stop taking the meds all together. Everything I've read said not to do that, unless I want to be really messed up.

So I've been weaning myself off by counting the granules in the pill and reducing them slowly( crazy I know!) I can't afford another Psych visit with someone else, so I've been doing this for about two weeks.

Should I just stop taking the pills at this point, or still reduce the granules? So far I haven't had too bad of withdrawal symptoms, just really irritable and annoyed, also slight headaches and visual disturbances.

Thank you for any info.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 125
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: How many weeks to come off Venlafaxine?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
I dropped down from 75mg to 37.5 about a month ago to start the weaning process (Psych told me to do this.) after doing this for a month, I went back to see the Psych and he told me it was safe to just stop taking the meds all together. Everything I've read said not to do that, unless I want to be really messed up.

So I've been weaning myself off by counting the granules in the pill and reducing them slowly( crazy I know!) I can't afford another Psych visit with someone else, so I've been doing this for about two weeks.

Given the short time you were on it, I think you could have stopped as your psychiatrist suggested. After another 2 weeks at around 19mg? you are even less likely to have serious withdrawal issues if you stop now.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all suggestions are general in nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How many weeks to come off Venlafaxine?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »
Thank you very much!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: