Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Seriously panicking, please help.  (Read 152 times)

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Seriously panicking, please help.
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:17:08 PM »
Over the past few days I have developed a cough with no cold.  I have zero congestion in my nose or head but have a (sometimes) productive cough.  Feels like my chest is tight and heavy.  Should I be concerned?  I am trying so hard not to google right now, but I'm at work and trying not to show that I'm freaking out: )
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline crazymommy

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Seriously panicking, please help.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
Nothing to be concerned about over a cough for a few days. You could have just a little bit of a cold and it hasn't settled in your head to give you any congestion... Last year I had a cough for months. A productive hacking cough that was worse in the mornings. I went to the doctor several times, got a chest xray, antibiotics twice. It finally just went away. Never even figured out what it was or why it actually stopped. Do you have allergies?  I still think that contributed to my cough. Not the only cause, but I think I got a bug of some kind and it happened to be during the worst of allergy season so it just irritated all my bronchial tubes and hung around.

Drink plenty of water and get some rest so that if you are at the beginning of a cold you can kick it faster. But there's nothing to be worried about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »
I've had that before.  I figured it would go away on its own.  After three weeks, I went to the doctor, and he was like "well, it's probably some kind of infection, and it's probably already mostly gone, so I'm not giving you antibiotics."  I don't remember how long it took to go fully away but it wasn't anything serious. 

You may also be dealing with allergies - they're horrible for everyone right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
That makes me feel better. I've never had allergies before so I've always assumed one had itchyeyes and a runny nose. This is literally just llike I have bricks in my chest and my throat feels sticky.. If that makes sense.
Last week I woke up in the middleof tthennight gasping for air so I'm just so worried I have so e kind of lung problem that is getting progressively worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
If your congestion is that bad, definitely see a doctor.  It could be an infection, and while those aren't usually all that serious, it's better to be safe, and you'll get better a lot faster if you're being treated. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
Something just like that happened to me in 2004.   I just got a cough and it would get worse every 2 days!  It was SO weird!!  After a month I finally went to the doctor and she just said it was some sort of allergy and told me to take Mucinex and gave me one of those "inhaler" thingies to calm down the inflamed airways.  That is what made it go away - but it did last a long time.   I never got anything like it since. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Yes, I'm sure it's nothing serious, but not being able to breathe is one of my biggest fears….so  my anxiety is doing me no favours with this!  I want to go to the Dr. but I just hate feeling like a hypochondriac.
Thank you all for your replies!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
Mucinex does work REALLY well.  My doctor recommended the stronger kind that you have to ask the pharmacist to unlock - I suggest picking some up!  Good call Sunlover.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: