Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Back to skin worries  (Read 197 times)

Offline packers1981

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Back to skin worries
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »
Hey everyone.  My yearly skin check is in a couple of days and it has made me start freaking out that they will find something.  I don't have anything I'm terribly worried about but of course I think there will be one of my freckles or moles that they will see and worry about.  I feel like I'm going to get a grim diagnosis.  My wife goes next month and she has a skin colored bump on her left hip that of course I'm worried about.  She said it's been there about a year and we both of yearly skin checks but I'm still worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Back to skin worries
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
Odds are you will be fine. I had basal cell carcinoma on my upper nose around 5 years ago and it was removed by
a Mohs surgeon and it was no big deal at all.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline packers1981

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
Thanks Marc.  I just hope once a year is enough and there isn't going to be something that has come up in that year.  I haven't really noticed anything but the irrational side of me comes out when I think that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline packers1981

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
Well the appointment is tomorrow morning and I'm as nervous as ever. I keep thinking that the doctor missed something last year that will be seen this year and it'll be too late. Stupid HA.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »
I think we all get somewhat apprehensive when it comes to our health, so you are not alone in the way you think.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline lisaann

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »
I understand how you feel.  I have skin checks once a year by two different dermatologists.  So basically I go every 6 months.  This way,  if one doc misses something,  then the other might find it.  I have had melanoma and I'm going on my 15 year anniversary since it was discovered.  So I honestly welcome my appointments.  I have had well over 35 biopsies and I am ok with that. 
The most common form of melanoma is the superficial spreading type.  It grows on the surface of the skin before it grows vertical.  Therefore,  it is initially slow growing for a lengthy period of time.  Going once a year is often recommend for those of us who have had a melanoma because it gives the doc time to find something before it can turn into something nasty.  If you are still worried about the doc missing something,  then maybe consider doing what I do,  and see another doc in between your yearly visit.  And as always,  check your skin on a regular basis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline packers1981

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
Thanks lisaann. I'm convinced they'll find something. Maybe I should go to two dermatologists every year but it makes nervous because I feel that one should be sufficient. I've just worked myself up a lot now and I'm thinking they'll find some aggressive form.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: