Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety and Muscle Tension  (Read 248 times)

Online poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety and Muscle Tension
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »
So I've been on Prozac 30mg for about a month and a half, and before that I was laddering up my amount. I also take Propranolol 10mg (Supposed to be 3x per day). And I have Xanax as needed.

About a month ago my chest started to really ache. It doesn't feel cardiac in nature, and my heart is fine. I had a battery of tests done late 2012 and my blood pressure and rate is always good. I am pretty healthy overall, exercising and my diet is pretty good overall. Anyway, the pain feels muscular, but I didn't do anything crazy when it came to exercise. So I rested for about a week and tried again... While exercising is actually felt better. Then I exercised like 4-5 days later (Chest) and it hurt since then. It felt... tight. When I got anxious it gets even tighter. I had been getting chest tightness when I had anxiety attacks before, but this was more constant. And it doesn't feel like Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness from exercise.

I talked to my Psychiatrist today and asked him. He said it seems like anxiety is the cause. I feel SLIGHTLY better overall, but not anywhere near 100%. My panic attacks aren't as severe, but they are plentiful. He upped my medication (Laddering up 5mg at every 4 days) to 60mg, but he said to stop at a dosage if I start feeling better AT that dosage. He says the maximum he goes is 80mg for Prozac. He also said to keep taking the Propranolol... Which is hard to do. Is it dangerous to miss doses? I know my dose is minimal (10mg, supposed to be 3x per day), but it makes me very, very tired at times. Especially if I have to take a Xanax (.25mg, also the minimum), I get very tired and feel very out of it. So does the anxiety, too... But in a different way. It's like trying to find the right combination and such is difficult. If I take even one of those before I exercise I feel overly tired, especially Xanax, so I try to wait until after I workout to take it.

Also, drinking... I hadn't drank at all really until Easter Sunday. I had a few drinks then and got buzzed quickly. Then two weekends ago I had a few beers each night. Then this past Saturday we were celebrating my engagement to my fiancee, so I drank a bit much. I took my Prozac a bit earlier that day, drank a bunch of water and ate, and I took a Xanax around noon that day (I started drinking around 6 hours later, give or take). I'm trying to be safe, but am I opening up myself to something truly dangerous? I don't do any other drugs, and I make sure I don't drive or anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety and Muscle Tension
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:27:57 AM »
He also said to keep taking the Propranolol... Which is hard to do. Is it dangerous to miss doses?

Prozac may slow the rate at which propranolol is metabolized which can increase it effects. Which could be an issue if you were taking 150-320mg/day for heart disease and migraines, etc, however, you're only on a small dose so it probably doesn't matter much.

Also, drinking... I hadn't drank at all really until Easter Sunday. I had a few drinks then and got buzzed quickly. Then two weekends ago I had a few beers each night. Then this past Saturday we were celebrating my engagement to my fiancee, so I drank a bit much.

Alcohol and antidepressants can be problematic . For some the combination can be unpredictable, on some days they could drink a herd of alcoholic elephants under the table without raising a sweat, on others their legs turn to rubber after only a small beer. Also be aware that alcohol can exacerbate anxiety.

I took my Prozac a bit earlier that day

The half-life of Prozac is about a week, so it doesn't matter when you take it as blood plasma levels remain constant throughout the day

I took a Xanax around noon that day (I started drinking around 6 hours later, give or take)

Benzodiazepines (BZD) and alcohol are a potentially deadly combination. The problem is that both suppress activity in the brain stem which, among other things controls the breathing reflex. A lot of booze and some BZD can lead to asphyxiation, especially if you fall asleep.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:09 AM »
As always, thank you, insights.

What do you think about the muscle tension in my chest, though? Like I said, as of about a month ago it feels constantly tight for the most part, and anxiety exacerbates that tightness.

As for drinking, I am not trying to make it a habit at all. I know the half-life for Xanax is what, 4-6 hours? That's why I took it much earlier. I am still just getting used to social gatherings again, so I wanted a small dose beforehand so I can settle into my day and then drink later on.

And what about the Propranolol and drinking or missing doses? I know I am on a small dose, but being on a medicine that directly affects the heart makes me nervous. And tired. I took 10mg about an hour ago and here I am, at my desk, tired.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »
What do you think about the muscle tension in my chest, though? Like I said, as of about a month ago it feels constantly tight for the most part, and anxiety exacerbates that tightness.

I don't know. I know a bit about psych meds and the brain, but beyond that I can't help. Given you've had a battery of tests without finding a cause, it could be assumed that it is anxiety, however, it might be something else. Did anything happen around the time it started? Any changes?

And what about the Propranolol and drinking or missing doses? I know I am on a small dose, but being on a medicine that directly affects the heart makes me nervous.

Alcohol can reduce BP, so there may be an additive effects if combined with a beta-blocker, but given the dose it is unlikely to produce any noticeable effects. At worst you might experience some dizziness if you get up quickly, or possibly some lightheadedness, and your heart might begin beating a little faster to compensate. But there's no risk of heart damage.

And tired. I took 10mg about an hour ago and here I am, at my desk, tired.

It's because of the small reduction in blood flow. Some adapt to this after a while, but it can be a continuing issue for others. Raise it with your doctor at the next visit.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »

I don't know. I know a bit about psych meds and the brain, but beyond that I can't help. Given you've had a battery of tests without finding a cause, it could be assumed that it is anxiety, however, it might be something else. Did anything happen around the time it started? Any changes?

And what about the Propranolol and drinking or missing doses? I know I am on a small dose, but being on a medicine that directly affects the heart makes me nervous.

Alcohol can reduce BP, so there may be an additive effects if combined with a beta-blocker, but given the dose it is unlikely to produce any noticeable effects. At worst you might experience some dizziness if you get up quickly, or possibly some lightheadedness, and your heart might begin beating a little faster to compensate. But there's no risk of heart damage.

And tired. I took 10mg about an hour ago and here I am, at my desk, tired.

It's because of the small reduction in blood flow. Some adapt to this after a while, but it can be a continuing issue for others. Raise it with your doctor at the next visit.

Ian

I apologize in advance, I am terrible when it comes to quoting other people lol.

As for the chest pain and anything occurring. I have been exercising, so I thought it was related to that. I hurt myself last near and gave myself a nice case of costochondritis. I thought that maybe it had reinflammed or something, so I stopped working out for a week. It felt a bit better, so I started again, and then it hurt again (Moreso than the usual post-workout pain known as "DOMS," or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). It felt tight, and it got worse with actual anxiety attacks. So I rested, went to the chiropractor and when he worked on my back it felt a bit better, so I did a light workout and the pain came back. The tightness resonates from my left pectoral and it can be felt when I stretch the muscle, too. I left it alone for another week and a half and decided two days ago to work it out again, although take it easy (8 sets in total of nothing crazy, such as pushups), and it feels OK. A little sore, but not that same tightness.

The tightness was always there, and like I said, it gets much worse during an anxiety attack. It feels as if I can't really breathe and I get incredibly uncomfortable. But I've noticed lately that if I take a Xanax the tight ceases. If I stretch the muscle I feel it a bit, but that's relatively normal.

As for the Propranolol, raising it will make the effects lessen? I thought that'd exacerbate my fatigue. Plus, if I take a Xanax around the same time or even within an hour or so of each other, I get dreadfully tired. I mean, it makes sense, but sometimes the Propranolol doesn't work as effective as I need it to so I take a Xanax.

My Psychiatrist also just raised my Prozac (Which I mentioned in my initial post), and it has been HELL ever since. I have had the worst panic attack symptoms starting Tuesday (The day after I took my first increased dose). My chest got tight, breathing got difficult and swallowing got difficult. I feel a bit dizzier than usual as well, especially in the mornings during my morning (20 minutes or so) commute. I'm hoping that these go away. On the 30mg I felt a bit more controlled, but not even close to 100% myself.

For the sexual complications from the Prozac I also got L-Arginine, which my Psychiatrist said may be beneficial. But I read from many different sources that different amounts are good, and then another site says a totally different amount. Some sites say that I need to cycle on and off, other sites say you should stay on it.

Any help is appreciated, insights. As always.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »
The tightness was always there, and like I said, it gets much worse during an anxiety attack. It feels as if I can't really breathe and I get incredibly uncomfortable.

I think there are two separate issues here, a background muscle one, and another due to anxiety. I can't help you with the background one, but breathing problems when anxious are very common. Some people almost stop breathing often with a tightening of the chest muscles, others hyperventilate taking rapid shallow breathes. Breathing exercises will help in both cases. Google: anxiety+"breathing exercises" There are a number of good Youtube clips on this.

As for the Propranolol, raising it will make the effects lessen?

The only thing propranolol does is reduce the adrenaline rush that accompanies anxiety, so to the extent that this is part of your breathing difficulty then maybe yes.

Plus, if I take a Xanax around the same time or even within an hour or so of each other, I get dreadfully tired.

Propranolol causes fatigue, Xanax sedation which combine to make you feel very tired. With regular use the Xanax sedation will diminish as the body adapts, but the propranolol induced fatigue is likely to linger.

My Psychiatrist also just raised my Prozac (Which I mentioned in my initial post), and it has been HELL ever since. I have had the worst panic attack symptoms starting Tuesday (The day after I took my first increased dose)

Unfortunately, increased anxiety is common when increasing an antidepressant dose. It should diminish relatively quickly.

I also got L-Arginine, which my Psychiatrist said may be beneficial. But I read from many different sources that different amounts are good, and then another site says a totally different amount. Some sites say that I need to cycle on and off, other sites say you should stay on it.

Sorry, can't help you with this. It isn't a remedy I'm familiar with. I guess the different doses, etc, just reflect individual differences in the severity of the sexual dysfunction and the personal response to the supplement and you're going to have to experiment to find out what works best for you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Online poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 08:20:02 AM »
Thanks insights, your information has been incredibly helpful and... insightful. :D

My chest is feeling much better overall. It was a bit tight this morning and I felt so out of it, as if a panic attack was coming on, so I popped a Xanax and I feel much better. My chest isn't that tight anymore. I'm still going to stay light when it comes to chest workouts and I will not do anything fancy, just basic push movements for the time being.

I'll look for more information on L-Arginine. If you have a source where maybe I can find more information on it, I'd appreciate it. I have searched the web and I keep getting different dosage amounts and even timing. It's frustrating.

Thanks again!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: