Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of Pancreatic Cancer TMI warning  (Read 354 times)

Offline KirklandHarris

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of Pancreatic Cancer TMI warning
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »
Hey everyone. About 3 months ago I had a brain tumor fear that turned out to be nothing, thankfully. However, I had for wait to get an MRI for about 2 and a half months and as all of you can guess that did a number on my body. I lived in constant fear of what I was about to find out. Among numerous other symptoms, about a month into the worry I started having these slight dull pains on my lower right abdomen, almost on my side, but not quite, usually after I would eat. I also would have diarrhea that would sometimes be yellow. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I found out everything in my brain was fine, but the slight discomfort in my side would still come and go. I also still sometimes pass yellow stool, which is what's worrying me the most. I've heard that it can be a sign of GERD which I've also heard can be traced back to anxiety. Before I knew everything was fine with my brain, I would occasionally get a little but of heartburn and would always go into gagging fits after I would eat, which I've also heard were hallmark signs of GERD. However, those symptoms seem to have settled down while the mild pain in the same area and yellow stool persist. It's not yellow every time, but it will be at least a couple times a week, and it's always at least a little loose. (It will be solid falling into the toilet but it will break up and look as if it were mushy diarrhea in the bowl when I'm done.) Anyone have thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline texasjwhitley

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of Pancreatic Cancer TMI warning
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:09:10 AM »
Hi KH.  Not sure if I can provide any answers for you but figured I'd share what i've been going through.  Forgive me, this is long but i'll try and get to the point.  So in October 2013 I had a major life change, I took a new job in Austin, Tx.  I was born and raised in Portland, OR and lived there all my life, 34 years.   I had to start my job and leave my Wife and son back in Oregon while we tried to sell our house which took 3 months.  Needless to say it was quite an adjustment never being so far apart like we were.   Well I have to admit prior to making this change I was a pretty heavy drinker, 1 or 2 weekday nights I would pound down the better part of a bottle of whiskey and then drink just as much on the weekends with my buddies.  This was fairly consistent for 2 years...  When I first got to Austin, I continued the drinking and it was just as heavy. In November I started experiencing some pretty bad abdominal discomfort and was not able to produce a solid bowel movement for over 3 weeks.  I got really scared because I looked up my symptoms on Dr. Google and everything pointed to Colon Cancer.. (my Dad was diagnosed 1 year ago with Stage 3)  I made an appt. with a GP who told me I was too young and then a GI Doc who said the same thing, I finally had a CT scan and it showed nothing.  Shortly after my abdominal discomfort went away.  (During that time I constantly felt bloated and eating the slightest amount filled me up)  Along comes Dec. and we sold our house.  I flew back to Portland, packed everything up, rented a UHAUL an d my family and i embarked on the 2300 mile journey to move to Austin.    At this point all of the discomfort (and worry!) was gone, but I still felt that when I went no. 2, it felt different then what I have been accustom to.  Next event... Feb.2014 rolls along and I start getting these headaches that are at the back of my head, and they last from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed.   After 2 weeks of this with no relief, I consulted Dr. Google again..  Now I'm convinced that I have a brain tumor.  There is no change in my symptoms and and I am convinced of my own diagnosis that I hound my GP to get my an MRI of my head.... Well it comes back clear... Hallelujah!! All that stress and worry has been lifted and within a week the headache goes away.  Well not more than a week after that, my abdominal pain comes back and I'm constipated again for about 3 weeks, I am seeing all kinds of little different types of stools pass... pebbles, thin ones, loose ones you name it.  Well I figured it can't be colon cancer because I had the CT Scan and it came back clear... Again back to Dr. Google and I stumbled upon Pancreatic Cancer.   I am now on week 12 with abdominal discomfort, no breaks. I've had bouts of feeling full after eating little, loss of appetite, mushy large floating stools and for the last 3 weeks back pain in my lower and mid back region that I can't shake.  They are constant from when I wake up to when I go to bed... Needless to say I am freaking out and just want an answer to whats going on,  I am sure I have developed Health Anxiety but the pain is real and I am at a loss as to whether its cause is internal or mental.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:58:32 AM »
I would call your physician about the yellow stool.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline KirklandHarris

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
I forgot to say I'm 18 btw if that makes a difference. Does this seem like something serious? It really didn't start until my first HA scare, or at least I didn't notice it until after, but as far as I remember it looked normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline roulolox

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
Hello,
The likelihood of getting PC cancer at your age is about ,.....0! You have more chance being hitten by an Asteroid.
Yellowish stool are not that uncommun and are usually due to a fast transit. Is your urine darker ? Just go to your doctor and tell him about your fears and anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
Gallbladder perhaps?  It's on the right and the pain can radiate over the entire area, at least it did for me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline KirklandHarris

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
Urine is normal color. It ranges from the normal yellow tint to clear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline KirklandHarris

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
I feel like I should clarify. My stool isn't distinctly yellow, but it's usually brown with a slight yellow tint. I've heard very different things about that color from the internet. Some say it's optimal while others say there could be a problem, so I honestly have no idea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline roulolox

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
Clay-color stool is a problem. Light brown not.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »
Hi, well a few years ago my Dad had a very severe gallbladder attack----he was very sick with fever, and couldn't get out of bed---also had pain in his upper right abdomen.  A couple days later he felt somewhat better.....after a bowel movement he called me to tell me his stool was a funny color, I live next door so I went over to inspect it (he wanted me to).  Part of the stool was brown, but the rest was literally the color of a banana (not the yellow peel, but the actual pale almost white color of a banana).

Needless to say, he had an abdominal ultra sound after that attack, and it was discovered that he had gallstones.  He went in for surgery a couple months later----surgeon said she thinks he had gallstones for a long time by the looks of his gallbladder....she had a tough time getting it out too, said it was stuck to his liver! 

But anyway, that is the color I would describe it as---banana.  There was no brownish hue though.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share