Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Air Hunger All the Time: Anyone Else?  (Read 402 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Air Hunger All the Time: Anyone Else?
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »
This is an awful feeling. I feel on most days like I'm not getting air. Although my body is physically breathing I feel like I'm suffocating.

Am I alone in this awful abyss of suffering?

I'm constantly taking a gasp to get air to only be relieved for a couple minutes.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
Re: Air Hunger All the Time: Anyone Else?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:10:03 PM »
Anyone?
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline melissas080

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:56:43 PM »
This is a major issue for me. Its debilitating. I feel like I am suffocating, but my oxygen level is nearly perfect. I have no clue what is going on, my dr just brushed it off as anxiety but I have myself convinced terrible things are wrong with me.

If you look up my past posts you will see it is centered around air hunger. I have been like this for about a month, i have started to feel a tad better but its still there. I am trying not to think about it and just accept it, but kind of hard to do when you literally feel like you are being starved of air..at times its almost like what an asthma attack might feel like, even though I have no asthma, it also at times feel like my lungs are burning and my chest is tight, then it feels like i have to yawn and yawn and yawn or take deep breaths that don't feel like reaches my lungs.

Sorry you have to feel this way too. Hang in there. Just an annoying anxiety symptom.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »
This is a major issue for me. Its debilitating. I feel like I am suffocating, but my oxygen level is nearly perfect. I have no clue what is going on, my dr just brushed it off as anxiety but I have myself convinced terrible things are wrong with me.

If you look up my past posts you will see it is centered around air hunger. I have been like this for about a month, i have started to feel a tad better but its still there. I am trying not to think about it and just accept it, but kind of hard to do when you literally feel like you are being starved of air..at times its almost like what an asthma attack might feel like, even though I have no asthma, it also at times feel like my lungs are burning and my chest is tight, then it feels like i have to yawn and yawn and yawn or take deep breaths that don't feel like reaches my lungs.

Sorry you have to feel this way too. Hang in there. Just an annoying anxiety symptom.

Thank you so much

Yeah I'm working on strictly breathing through my nose avoiding any mouth breathing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:42:29 AM »
"Unsatisfying Oxygen" is one of my major manifestations when I'm having an anxiety attack. Sounds like what you are experiencing.

I'm sure you know that it isn't real. But even though we know this intellectually, we still have the same feelings.

One thing I do is to use an inhaler. Even though I don't have asthma, it provides some relief whether its real or not. You can usually mooch one for free from almost any doctor.

Also, try a humidifier. Stick your face in the steam (carefully) and inhale that wet goodness into your lungs.

Drink more water.

If you call a crisis line they'll usually put you through a breathing exercise that actually seems to help. Take a huge breath through your nose. Wait a couple of seconds. Slowly exhale through your mouth until your lungs are empty and you're making little spitting sounds.

Distraction is useful so posting here or talking to a crisis line is very helpful.

Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:49:32 AM »
I get this. its fairly common with panic attacks. it's a result of minor hyperventilation that you don't notice you're doing. This is so common actually that it has a name: "Hyperventilation Syndrome."

What's really interesting is the studies people have done about it. Apparently, there is absolutely no physical change in a person when they're going through this. Its entirely psychological. But yeah. Hopefully knowing that its common, and knowing it cannot hurt you will help you relax some. Cause getting stressed out from it just makes it worse
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
Unfortunately for me this last months and months. It's not acute but chronic : (
Bookmark and Share

Offline melissas080

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Can you try to describe what yours feels like? I often even get a hollow heavy feeling in my upper stomach which leads to the short of breath/suffocating feeling. It is o hard to discribe but it scares me so much that I barely leave my house, maybe twice in the last 1.5 months. its miserable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »
It feels like I'm under the covers. I'm physically breathing but I'm suffocating.

I'm a 33 year old salesman with a wife and two young boys. Staying home is not an option. I have to face this everyday.
Bookmark and Share

Offline melissas080

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
yeah im a 33 year old mom of 3 young kids, two girls and my infant son. I wish I could face it and go out but I just can't. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
I will say benzos magically lift this for me but as a recovering alcoholic that's been sober for 2 years, benzos are only for emergencies now. Benzos stay with me kinda like a nuclear arsenal, hope you never have to use them but good to have lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wolfey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 08:01:30 AM »
This is my major issue I have everyday most of the day sometimes its pretty strong and sometimes its just there.

Things I have tried that seem to work, but not positive cause somedays nothing helps. As little caffeine as possible since I'm a coffee drinker this part was hard for me but I have cut down a lot and it seems to help. Try and exercise everyday even if its just walking, you may feel short of breath, but try it helps. I have also started on proton inhibitors doctor thinks some of my breathing issues may be due to acid reflux. Well see if it works I just started on it.

This to me is by far one of the worst symptoms, but I just keep telling myself its not real and try to push on.

Good Luck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: