Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared to take Cipro  (Read 140 times)

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared to take Cipro
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:14:31 PM »
Afraid of ending up with Tendon ruptures, Fibromyalgia, or ending up paralyzed. In other words I dont wanna get "Floxed"

If anyone has taken Cipro, can you share your experience

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline BusuB

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared to take Cipro
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »
I haven't taken it but my mom has in the past for bladder infections.  She just got some mild diarrhea.  Your chances of getting "floxed" are pretty slim.

From webmd regarding the black box warnings:

Renata Albrecht, MD, who heads the FDA's Division of Special Pathogen and Transplant Products, estimates that spontaneous ruptures occur in about one in 100,000 people. The agency says taking the drugs appears to triple or quadruple the risk.

If you want to catastrophize it you can think that your chances of spontaneous ruptured are four-fold.  In reality though, your chances are 0.001% of a chance without the Cipro and 0.004% with it.

Honestly, what is the consenquence of not taking it?  I'm sure the reasons behind it are uncomfortable in the least and life threatening at the most. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:44:55 PM »
True, I had a cystocopy but Im also worried about CNS damage as well
Bookmark and Share

Offline BusuB

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »
There are issues with broad spectrum antibiotics for sure, but they're good drugs.  I can try to reassure you till I'm blue in the face , but you'll ultimately have to make the decision to take them.  Your doctor prescribed these because it was determined that the benefit outweighed the risk which is an easy determination to make considering the relatively mild side effect profile of antibiotics and it's efficacy in eliminating potentially life threatening bacteria.  You're comparing a certainty (the bacteria) versus an unlikely (dangerous side effects).  In my mind, it's a no-brainier.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: