Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Another question about Lexapro(generic)  (Read 94 times)

Offline shardeni

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Another question about Lexapro(generic)
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »
I started taking Lexapro (generic ) March 1st.  It helped me for about 6 weeks and then I accidentally missed a few doses and since that time I feel like it is not helping with anxiety as much as it should.  I did some checking and found out my generic is from Aurobindo made in India.  Could it be that the generic is not as pure as the brand and that's why it isn't working .  I took it  ( the brand name Lexapro)for 2 years several years ago and it worked very well for me.  I am wondering if the first month that I thought it was working was just the placebo effect?  Should I ask my Dr. to prescribe  the brand for me to see if that helps or are they all the same?  Or should I ask to increase my dosage? 

Thank you.

Shardeni
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Another question about Lexapro(generic)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
I am wondering if the first month that I thought it was working was just the placebo effect?

This is possible. It is becoming clearer is that when antidepressants are stopped and later restarted the dose required to achieve previous levels of control may need to be higher. There is also some evidence that the likelihood of antidepressants working drops by about 20% each time. This applies to all antidepressants, not just those taken before.

Should I ask my Dr. to prescribe  the brand for me to see if that helps or are they all the same?

In theory they should all be the same, in practice it doesn't always work out that way so it may be worth going back onto the brand. However, I suspect you may also need to up the dose.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: