Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does reading or hearing about someone's illness spark your anxiety?  (Read 644 times)

Offline yahoo2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does reading or hearing about someone's illness spark your anxiety?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »
Yes, especially if they are in the same age range as you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline makeitcount

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »
Absolutely! I am so empathetic that not only does it scare me for myself, I often feel so terrible for the other person and almost guilty when I do have my health, and so many others do not.

My most recent episode of severe HA was kicked into gear because a friend of mine (gorgeous, lively, outgoing, athletic, super healthy, think Blake Lively, looked just like her!) passed away VERY suddenly in a car accident. She was my age, and it really set off my fears not only of health problems but also of car accidents. ): And I feel awful for her family!
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
Wow, I'm not the only one. 

Whenever I hear or read about any illness, I immediately project it onto myself. And not just on myself, on others close to me.  After my aunt died of cancer a few months ago, I always started getting worried for my mom when she complains of anything remotely similar.

If I'm watching TV, I have to mute the TV or turn the channel if something comes on about an illness.  I cannot watch medical shows of any type.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »
Absolutely! My younger (6 or 7 years) sister in law was just dx'd with invasive breast cancer from a lump she'd been 'watching'.  Freaked me out! I did a number of pretty hard self breast exams (and I'm so small you can feel my ribs) and last night I had one breast with soreness/ discomfort when I moved certain ways in bed.  Now we all know this is 99.999999% surely from all the mashing pushing prodding I did but I was very comforted after doing a search on this forum of old posts and found loads of info saying breast pain with no symptoms is virtually never a sign of breast cancer or disease. Might even be the muscle underneath!

Still, I didn't sleep well, took 2 aspirin and it hasn't hurt in probably 6 hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
YES!! I stay away from the news and ads or anything.. ***** is a huge trigger so I am thinking of removing it I have to protect my sanity somehow what is left of it but also how do we learn to deal or cope if we don't face the fears head on?? 
I stay away from doctors as much as possible but sometimes that is impossible.
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Tags: