Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Med Phobic  (Read 122 times)

Offline Alecia6

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Med Phobic
« on: May 11, 2014, 03:28:59 AM »
Does anyone else deal with this?
The one thing in the past that has actually helped lessen the anxiety and racing thoughts, is meds.  I'm not happy with taking them, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of choices when the anxiety get's that bad.
Except in the past few years, I've become anxious about taking my medication as well. And that has really made things tougher.
Can anyone give me advice on how to get past this, or how to cope?
I feel like I am having a really difficult time right now with it, and I can't think of many other ways to deal with it, other than to take the meds and panic until they really do start working for me. It doesn't feel like the best option. Though I'm not sure what else to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Med Phobic
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 05:52:42 AM »
I will assume you simple thing the medication will do something bad to you. Like bad side effects and the likes. Change who you are. None of which is true at all. In your own words, you take the medication and panic until the medication begins to work. The only effect the medication had you that was bad was it made you panic. Which was not a side effect of the medication. That was more to do with your own mind. Other than that the medication you are taken done nothing bad to you at all. I would ask why you panic when you take it? By now you know it does help you. You know it has no bad side effects at all. So try use some rational thinking. The only bad effects are ones you are creating for yourself. They are not caused by the medication. More caused by your own mind.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Alecia6

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Med Phobic
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »
You're absolutely correct. I read the side effects on many medications that I was prescribed and panicked about them occurring.
Though in truth, there was only one medication given to me for anxiety that did in fact have a bad side effect for me. It gave me optic migraines that I never experienced before, and haven't since I stopped taking it. So now, to try new medications makes me very nervous.
For the most part, I do indeed rationalize my way through it. Though also depending on the day it can be really difficult to do. I've been known to skip a day or two because I was just too worn out already to deal with more fighting through the anxiety vs rationalizing.
My biggest fear is hallucinations. And although they are rare, most medications prescribed for anxiety do have that as a possible side effect. That one in particular makes me panic very badly. Interesting enough, I never had this phobia until around 3 years ago, and until I spoke to the wrong people who were going on about really frightening stories to do with illegal drug use and the hallucinations they experienced. This in turn brought on my phobia over all medications. I am trying to calm my mind down about it and to rationalize. But it really has become a huge issue for me. Coincidentally I do realize that medication is the only thing that can/does settle my anxiety down when it becomes like this. :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: