Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Dark patches in stool  (Read 332 times)

Offline rubee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dark patches in stool
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »
I'm so so worried about bowel cancer.. I just went to the loo, and while most of it was 'normal'/light brown coloured, there were dark patches. They didn't look black, maybe more dark grey. Is this a symptom of bowel cancer? Or does the whole stool have to be dark? I'm so scared  :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dark patches in stool
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »
TAR black would be indicative of blood in the stomach or upper bowel.  In general, stool color is a composition of what we've eaten.  So many things can make bits of stool dark.  Chocolate, black coffee, deep colored veggies, etc.  I ate Red Velvet Cake for my birthday 2 years ago and had maroon stool the next few days. I'd just had a colonoscopy so knew there was no bleeding problems. Then I realized it was the dye from the cake!

Green veggies, dye from Kool-Aid type drinks, certain meds can all cause urine or feces to darken. Did you know excess Vit. B can be cause bright neon blue/green urine.  You just pee it out. No harm done.

Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Would the whole stool be tar black if it was bleeding?
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
Remember TAR black is street tar, roofing tar black and NOT dark brown. If in doubt, pick up a piece of the dark stuff and smear it.  I'll guarantee you that it's dark brown and not tar black.

I never had bleeding with colon cancer but those I know who did, filled the toilet with blood. RED blood.  My stool was never thin and never discolored but one day it just stopped. No gas, no stool and felt like everything was stuck just above my belly button. It was. I had a partial blockage from a 2 cm tumor (not much larger than a dime).

Constant bleeding would turn all the stool tar black. A bit of bleeding from a tiny tummy ulcer ???

My colon cancer was Stage IIIB in Jan. 2009. I had surgery and chemo. In Feb. 2012 they found a 1.5 cm spot on the back of my liver. They removed 80% of my liver but no chemo.  Two years later and I'm still cancer FREE and my blood tests for tumor markers are well within normal and actually close to what a non cancer patient might test as.  :-)

Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
Thank you.. In the past I've had a lot of red blood but that's been happening for years, since I was a young teenager (I'm 20 now). I've just put that down to haemorrhoids now and if it were to happen tomorrow, it wouldn't really freak me out. I've been extra worried lately because a lot of my stools have been quite loose, not really diarrhoea but looser than 'usual' (I'm usually very constipated).
I had a blood test done last week and am awaiting results. If there was something wrong, could it show up in that?
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »
Anemia would show up but not cancer.  The blood test I have for cancer is a CEA.  It's used once people are known to have colon/ bowel but NOT anal cancer.  My CEA is very sensitive so a rise from 3.4 to 6.4 meant I had cancer on my liver. Some people are dx'd with colon cancer when their CEA's are 5,000.  Normal is different at different labs but generally all normals are 5 and under. They don't do a CEA as a screening tool.  Inflammation, benign breast conditions, smoking, polyps, constipation, age, weight can all cause false positives.

Pencil thin stools that stay that way are a symptom of rectal or anal cancer. Soft feces moves into the rectum and is squeezed thin when there is a tumor in the rectum or on the anus.  Changes in bowel habits other than that or being completely unable to go are not a symptom.

BTW..... my FOBT cards were always negative. My husbands are always positive and he's had polyps (numerous) but no cancer. I'm 63 and had 1 polyp that WAS cancer. Go figure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »
Thanks for your replies, they have helped me. I really hope you're feeling better now. I'm going to wait and see what the blood test says. Hopefully it's all good. It's so stressful having a panic attack each time I go to the loo. I know that it is more than likely just my IBS and anxiety but I always have this doubt in my head :(
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »
BTW....... you said you're usually very constipated but have had some loose stools. Were you aware that you can be SO constipated that small amounts of stool leak from around the hard stuff?  There's a name for it. 

You might consider cleaning yourself out by eating some raisins, bran or my favorite, Fig Newtons (beware of odd looking bits and pieces in your stool tho because it can look like you've eaten little sticks). 
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
You're very welcome!

I feel wonderful until my HA kicks in and then I develop whatever symptoms I just read about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »
You're very welcome!

I feel wonderful until my HA kicks in and then I develop whatever symptoms I just read about.

Thank you! I think I do suffer with this. I'm going to look into eating better things and see how that goes.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: