Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Very scared  (Read 201 times)

Offline Niceguy237

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Very scared
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
For 3 weeks I have been having the most random and sporadic ring finger pain.  It randomly started 3 weeks ago when I used my hand and wrist to prop myself outta bed.  It's my left hand ring finger and the nerve pain is only on the thumb side.  When I extend my arm in the wrong way, I sometimes get the most vicious pain up that one side of my ring finger for like 5 seconds.  I typically scream, then 5 seconds later it's gone.  Then the same side of my finger is lightly numb and tingly and that continues.

Really worried as this pain is unbearable for the 5 seconds when it happens and I've tried wearing a brace at night to promote healing, but this keeps happening once a day.  Any clue what is going on with me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very scared
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »
It may be Cubital Tunnel Syndrome.  An irritation of the ulnar nerve.  It runs from the shoulder to elbow to wrist to the little finger and ring finger - a nerve could be trapped at any location along the way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »
It could be, the only thing that's strange about this is that the pain is very sporadic (once a day for a few seconds) and the persistent numbness is only on one side of the ring finger (side towards the thumb).  Rest of hand and fingers feel great.  Which is freaking me out!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »
Question for the forum:

Does anyone know how physical nerve pain tends to heal in terms of time?  Also, is light tingling a sign of healing or are there any sensations associated with nerve damage healing?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 07:27:19 AM »
A damaged nerve could take years to heal actually.   I don't know the signs of healing, when I had that problem I wasn't as bad of a hypo as I am now and one day I just noticed it was gone.  (I wouldn't keep testing it back then like I'd do now)
As far as your weird finger things.  A while ago I'd get this weird burning like feeling under the nail of my left index finger, it would come and go, sometimes not for weeks.  It's gone now totally.  Now I have a numb spot under my right ring finger nail and it seemed to have happened after I bumped it into a door jam (complete with splinter in tip of finger) - if I didn't have that splinter I may not have recalled bumping it because it wasn't that bad! 

What the bottom line is here is that you DID something to your hand whether you can remember it or not - it will eventually go away.
It doesn't have to be something traumatic - the simple act of you lifting yourself up to prop yourself up could have easily done it.  People have broken their ankle merely stepping off a curb!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:54:48 AM »
Around 25 years ago or so, I began to feel like cold water was being poured on a
part of my left thigh. It also got cold and tingly. I went to my regular doctor, who sent me
to an orthopedic physician. It was a nerve trapped in my pelvic area. He said I have 2 choices;
live with it or get it removed. He advised to live with it and I have for the past 25 years or so.
The part of my left thigh never got the complete feeling back and it hurts sometimes. I have
lived with it, but that is the way it goes.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback

I am wearing a carpal tunnel splint which has prevented the vicious shots of pain, but there is still a light tingling.  I hope it's getting better but tough to tell.  I don't want to wear this splint for life and hope this heals!!!!

Bookmark and Share

Tags: