Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Constant slurring of speech and stumble over words - please help  (Read 567 times)

Online thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant slurring of speech and stumble over words - please help
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »
Going through the same thing right now. Everyone says I sound the same, but I have the perception of mispronouncing and sometimes, indeed, do. I can't stop focusing on it.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
Going through the same thing right now. Everyone says I sound the same, but I have the perception of mispronouncing and sometimes, indeed, do. I can't stop focusing on it.

You need to step away from this one quickly. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline SkittishSari

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
Are you Swedish and therefore not a native English speaker? That could explain the difficulty with the speech test.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikewise77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »
I get this a lot, I also consider myself a good public speaker. My issue is either anxiety or it could be related to seasonal allergies that I always seem to be battling. My allergies cause a feeling of brain fogginess that sometimes makes it harder for me to talk without stumbling over words. They also make me feel a slight bit dizzy and off balance. I'm a ball at parties ;)
Mike
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
Are you Swedish and therefore not a native English speaker? That could explain the difficulty with the speech test.  :happy0151:

Haha, yeah it could be as simple as that. But I think that my difficulties with speech is more related to anxiety than lack of fluency in english =) I notice that my speech literally deterioate in an instant when I become anxious, and given the fact that Iīm diagnosed with GAD my anxiety is rather constant now.

So, a follow-up question to all experiencing speech problems due to anxiety; do any of you guys/girls experience problem related to fluency of speech? I notice that when my anxiety levels rise I tend to tense up my whole throat/mouth, and it literally becomes impossible to say some words/sentences. I also notice that I have a somewhat lispy sound when pronouncing f-sounds for example. Could that be because I actually carry too much tension in lips etc for sounds to come out "normal"?

Everyone keeps telling me that I sound the same, but I swear I can hear a not so subtle difference in how I sound and how I speak.

Itīs kind of a vicious circle; the more I focus on it the more problems I get, but itīs so hard to stop focusing on it=(
Bookmark and Share
Actual diagnoses;

- OCD (HA and others)
- GAD
- Major depression
- IBS and Gastritis
- Hemisensory symptoms and somatorform disorder

Self diagnosed with;

Bulbar onset ALS, Limb onset ALS, Young onset Parkinsons disease, MS, Rheumatoid arthritis, muscular dystrophia, and so many more....

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 11:11:04 PM »

Haha, yeah it could be as simple as that. But I think that my difficulties with speech is more related to anxiety than lack of fluency in english =) I notice that my speech literally deterioate in an instant when I become anxious, and given the fact that Iīm diagnosed with GAD my anxiety is rather constant now.

So, a follow-up question to all experiencing speech problems due to anxiety; do any of you guys/girls experience problem related to fluency of speech? I notice that when my anxiety levels rise I tend to tense up my whole throat/mouth, and it literally becomes impossible to say some words/sentences. I also notice that I have a somewhat lispy sound when pronouncing f-sounds for example. Could that be because I actually carry too much tension in lips etc for sounds to come out "normal"?

Everyone keeps telling me that I sound the same, but I swear I can hear a not so subtle difference in how I sound and how I speak.

Itīs kind of a vicious circle; the more I focus on it the more problems I get, but itīs so hard to stop focusing on it=(

I could have written this...exactly the same.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline SkittishSari

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 11:43:56 PM »

I could have written this...exactly the same.

Me too, and I am totally perseveration on it. I also constantly feel like my tongue is too big, that I have too much or too little spit, and that unite m tongue too much. I can feel the muscles under my chin totally tense up. :-/ I want to believe it is just anxiety but it feels sooooo real.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 04:55:53 AM »
Do any of you guys get fatigue in tongue/jaws etc? I kind of get that when I tense up, feels as if the tongue moves super slow and fatigues sooo fast. A good thing is that fatigue doesnīt seem to be a symptom of ALS, rather actual weakness (as in not being able to move the tongue at all/with much effort). So, thatīs a good thing I guess =P
Bookmark and Share
Actual diagnoses;

- OCD (HA and others)
- GAD
- Major depression
- IBS and Gastritis
- Hemisensory symptoms and somatorform disorder

Self diagnosed with;

Bulbar onset ALS, Limb onset ALS, Young onset Parkinsons disease, MS, Rheumatoid arthritis, muscular dystrophia, and so many more....

Offline mermaid

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 06:33:52 AM »
I've struggled with speech issues and excess saliva for more than 5 years now. It comes and goes but when it's there (like it is at the moment) it's constant for days or even weeks on end. I hate it but I keep telling myself that it hasn't killed me yet. I get the exact same combo - prononciation esp 's' sounds but a number of other sounds too like when I say my name Joy people always think I'm saying Troy - never happened before these issues started. And I also say the wrong words sometimes too.

Question - is your handwriting ok? Mine is messed up, and I sometimes write the wrong letters (switch them around or simply leave them out) even when writing simple words. I always wonder if there is a connection with the speech issue.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 07:08:53 AM »
Do any of you guys get fatigue in tongue/jaws etc? I kind of get that when I tense up, feels as if the tongue moves super slow and fatigues sooo fast. A good thing is that fatigue doesnīt seem to be a symptom of ALS, rather actual weakness (as in not being able to move the tongue at all/with much effort). So, thatīs a good thing I guess =P

Oh yes.  I was going through a period where I was getting fatigued with chewing food, much tongue fatigue, jaw fatigue.  I think it was from a couple things first over testing.  When we are constantly messing around with our mouths, moving our tongues etc it causes problems....then there is hyperawareness, and couple that with a hyperexcitable nervous system which is known for producing the feeling of fatigue in all voluntary muscle groups you have your answer.

What you have is anxiety like the rest of us and it can cause speech issues. 
Bookmark and Share

Online thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 07:18:15 AM »

Oh yes.  I was going through a period where I was getting fatigued with chewing food, much tongue fatigue, jaw fatigue.  I think it was from a couple things first over testing.  When we are constantly messing around with our mouths, moving our tongues etc it causes problems....then there is hyperawareness, and couple that with a hyperexcitable nervous system which is known for producing the feeling of fatigue in all voluntary muscle groups you have your answer.

What you have is anxiety like the rest of us and it can cause speech issues.

Second this. I actually gave myself a legit stutter from being anxious. It's gone now, thankfully.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Tags: