Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Constant slurring of speech and stumble over words - please help  (Read 2054 times)

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 38
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant slurring of speech and stumble over words - please help
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »
Yeah in a 27 yo it's so rare.  Lyrica can certainly effect speech.  So what sounds or words are you having problems with?  Is it certain sounds, words, or do you randomly mess up different words?

Itīs mostly s-sounds, but it varies alot. So yeah, itīs more of randomly messing up words more or less regardless of spelling. Iīm seriously freaked out of my wits now, watched my tongue and there is some tremor/twitches irregardless of tension in it (i.e. even when it "rests" at the bottom om my mouth. I also noted that the left side and right side of the bottom om the tongue (visible that is) is quite irregular in size. My right side seemed so much bigger than the left. Could that be atrophy even though I can move my tongue perfectly well?

I suspect if you took a pic and I seen it...I wouldn't think it's atrophy.  Many people have some asymmetry of the tongue.  And the tongue is nearly impossible to keep still.  Shaky tongues mean nothing...and I highly doubt you have a true tongue fasciculation.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hyper
    Hyper
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 04:49:22 AM »
Yeah in a 27 yo it's so rare.  Lyrica can certainly effect speech.  So what sounds or words are you having problems with?  Is it certain sounds, words, or do you randomly mess up different words?

Itīs mostly s-sounds, but it varies alot. So yeah, itīs more of randomly messing up words more or less regardless of spelling. Iīm seriously freaked out of my wits now, watched my tongue and there is some tremor/twitches irregardless of tension in it (i.e. even when it "rests" at the bottom om my mouth. I also noted that the left side and right side of the bottom om the tongue (visible that is) is quite irregular in size. My right side seemed so much bigger than the left. Could that be atrophy even though I can move my tongue perfectly well?

I suspect if you took a pic and I seen it...I wouldn't think it's atrophy.  Many people have some asymmetry of the tongue.  And the tongue is nearly impossible to keep still.  Shaky tongues mean nothing...and I highly doubt you have a true tongue fasciculation.

I donīt realy know what true fasciculations look like, but mine is a quivering of sorts (almost like a nervousness of the tounge itself). The twitches and tremblings arenīt there all the time, so I begin to suspect that I tense up even more when I check for fasciculations. But one thing that bothers me now, in regards to ALS, is that my left arm seems to be quite noticably thinner (aroung both wrists and biceps/triceps). Even my left hand has less muscles in it than the right. Is atrophy a likelly culprit, or could it just be the fact that I am right-handed that plays a major part in all this?
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »

I donīt realy know what true fasciculations look like, but mine is a quivering of sorts (almost like a nervousness of the tounge itself). The twitches and tremblings arenīt there all the time, so I begin to suspect that I tense up even more when I check for fasciculations. But one thing that bothers me now, in regards to ALS, is that my left arm seems to be quite noticably thinner (aroung both wrists and biceps/triceps). Even my left hand has less muscles in it than the right. Is atrophy a likelly culprit, or could it just be the fact that I am right-handed that plays a major part in all this?
  Yes, the entire left side of my body is significantly smaller than my right.  That is normal.  Bodies are not symmetrical.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Rasalhauge

Hyper
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
Iīm freaking ouy like never before here, when I tried to say Pink Hippopotamus, Yellow Lorry and British Constitution I failed(!) It took me several tries to get them right, even though I could say them perfectly well just a week ago. Could this be Bulbar ALS?
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 09:54:07 PM »
Unlikely.  Bulbar is so so rare in your age group.  Your speech issues are more likely anxiety related.  And let me tell you it must be in the air...today has been one of my worst speaking days.  I had a wedding rehearsal talking to all sorts of new people and I just sounded like a moron.  I couldn't get out words right, mispronouncing left and right today.  What is scarey for me is I do a lot of public speaking, have some huge engagements coming up and my speech is out of control. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »
Going through the same thing right now. Everyone says I sound the same, but I have the perception of mispronouncing and sometimes, indeed, do. I can't stop focusing on it.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
Going through the same thing right now. Everyone says I sound the same, but I have the perception of mispronouncing and sometimes, indeed, do. I can't stop focusing on it.

You need to step away from this one quickly. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline SkittishSari

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
Are you Swedish and therefore not a native English speaker? That could explain the difficulty with the speech test.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikewise77

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »
I get this a lot, I also consider myself a good public speaker. My issue is either anxiety or it could be related to seasonal allergies that I always seem to be battling. My allergies cause a feeling of brain fogginess that sometimes makes it harder for me to talk without stumbling over words. They also make me feel a slight bit dizzy and off balance. I'm a ball at parties ;)
Mike
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Hyper
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
Are you Swedish and therefore not a native English speaker? That could explain the difficulty with the speech test.  :happy0151:

Haha, yeah it could be as simple as that. But I think that my difficulties with speech is more related to anxiety than lack of fluency in english =) I notice that my speech literally deterioate in an instant when I become anxious, and given the fact that Iīm diagnosed with GAD my anxiety is rather constant now.

So, a follow-up question to all experiencing speech problems due to anxiety; do any of you guys/girls experience problem related to fluency of speech? I notice that when my anxiety levels rise I tend to tense up my whole throat/mouth, and it literally becomes impossible to say some words/sentences. I also notice that I have a somewhat lispy sound when pronouncing f-sounds for example. Could that be because I actually carry too much tension in lips etc for sounds to come out "normal"?

Everyone keeps telling me that I sound the same, but I swear I can hear a not so subtle difference in how I sound and how I speak.

Itīs kind of a vicious circle; the more I focus on it the more problems I get, but itīs so hard to stop focusing on it=(
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Tags:

anything