Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Constant slurring of speech and stumble over words - please help  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
So, this is a rather embarassing problem (to me at least) but Iīve noticed that I have more and more problems with articulating myself properly. I tend to have slurred speech, and it feels like I have vast amounts of excess saliva in my mouth constantly. On top of that I tend to stumble over words, and sometimes say something that I didnīt intend to (i.e. other words come out than what I want to say).

This excess saliva/slurred speech thing is what freaks me out the most though, and I feel almost certain that itīs because I suffer from PD. But, the more I read about the more I begin to think that itīs ALS/MND instead=(
Please help me with this. Can anxiety really be the culprit of such sinister symptoms as slurred speech?
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline yahoo2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant slurring of speech and stumble over words - please help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
Excess Silvia, like drooling? Is this though out the whole day - do you feel like you have to constantly spit it out?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »
First, those with *** has excessive drooling and saliva because they can't swallow.  Can you swallow?  Second, yes anxiety can cause slurred speech, stumbling over words etc.  This has been one of my toughest battles.  Once you are mindful of your speech it's much harder to speak normally.  Taking something automatic and controlling it consciously causes problems.  Then there is hyperawareness...and constant testing of your speech.  Truly awful...I do understand.

Here are a few tests...if you can pass them you are ok.

Can you say Pink Hippopotamus, Yellow Lorry, British Constitution?
Can you lick your lips?
Can you lick all your teeth?
Tent your cheeks with your tongue?
Move your tongue back and forth...up and down quickly?

If so then your speech issues are not a result of weakness, they are likely a result of anxiety.  Always good to get these things checked out but brother you are likely ok.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
First, those with *** has excessive drooling and saliva because they can't swallow.  Can you swallow?  Second, yes anxiety can cause slurred speech, stumbling over words etc.  This has been one of my toughest battles.  Once you are mindful of your speech it's much harder to speak normally.  Taking something automatic and controlling it consciously causes problems.  Then there is hyperawareness...and constant testing of your speech.  Truly awful...I do understand.

Here are a few tests...if you can pass them you are ok.

Can you say Pink Hippopotamus, Yellow Lorry, British Constitution?
Can you lick your lips?
Can you lick all your teeth?
Tent your cheeks with your tongue?
Move your tongue back and forth...up and down quickly?

If so then your speech issues are not a result of weakness, they are likely a result of anxiety.  Always good to get these things checked out but brother you are likely ok.

Thank you both for your responses. I have no trouble swallowing, but sometimes chunks of food get caught in my throat, couls be too big bites though.

I did the tests and I have to admit that I am freaking out somewhat now. I passed all but the last one, the more I try it the slower my tounge moves. Could be due to tensing up though. I can have misinterpreted the last test. How quick is quick? Like rapid alternating movements? If so, then no, I can't do that. I have no problem moving my tounge, but it seems as if I cant do it effectively and quickly at the same time :(
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
The last one is the toughest...sideways.  Many people are not coordinated enough to do it effectively.  My wife really has no ability to do it either.  If all the other tests are ok, then you are probably ok.  You do realize you are talking about a rare presentation of a rare disorder right?

How old are you?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:09:59 PM »
The last one is the toughest...sideways.  Many people are not coordinated enough to do it effectively.  My wife really has no ability to do it either.  If all the other tests are ok, then you are probably ok.  You do realize you are talking about a rare presentation of a rare disorder right?

How old are you?

I actually could do it quite fast now when I tried. Do you know if Lyrica (Pregabalin) can affect speech/saliva in any way? My fiancé said something about certain anxiety-meds that affect speech in one way or another, but Iīm trying to keep myself away from Google so I donīt mess up my current status even more=)

As I understand it ALS in itself is rather rare when it comes to young people, and Progressive Bulbar Paresis is an even rarer form of an already rare disease (acounts for 20-25% of all cases if Iīm not mistaken). Is that correct?

I have, on the other hand been dealing with GAD/Depression/OCD for most part of my adult life so chances are that it could start to manifest itself in new ways since itīs been mostly untreated. My logical reasoning tells me that Anxiety is more likely, but logic never have an overhand in my cases=/

Iīm 27 years old by the way, mental issues since 2003 and still going strong...
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
Yeah in a 27 yo it's so rare.  Lyrica can certainly effect speech.  So what sounds or words are you having problems with?  Is it certain sounds, words, or do you randomly mess up different words?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
Anxiety sure CAN mess with your speech!  When I am talking to someone who kind of intimidates me maybe because they think they are "all that and more..." and I feel they are judging me closely,  I tend to sound like a moron!  I can't think of the right word to say, I twist up my words, I stumble over my tongue...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Yeah in a 27 yo it's so rare.  Lyrica can certainly effect speech.  So what sounds or words are you having problems with?  Is it certain sounds, words, or do you randomly mess up different words?

Itīs mostly s-sounds, but it varies alot. So yeah, itīs more of randomly messing up words more or less regardless of spelling. Iīm seriously freaked out of my wits now, watched my tongue and there is some tremor/twitches irregardless of tension in it (i.e. even when it "rests" at the bottom om my mouth. I also noted that the left side and right side of the bottom om the tongue (visible that is) is quite irregular in size. My right side seemed so much bigger than the left. Could that be atrophy even though I can move my tongue perfectly well?
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
Anxiety sure CAN mess with your speech!  When I am talking to someone who kind of intimidates me maybe because they think they are "all that and more..." and I feel they are judging me closely,  I tend to sound like a moron!  I can't think of the right word to say, I twist up my words, I stumble over my tongue...

That sounds alot like me actually=) When I talk to people that are "above" me then I tend to stutter and slur like as if possesed or something=/
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »

Itīs mostly s-sounds, but it varies alot. So yeah, itīs more of randomly messing up words more or less regardless of spelling. Iīm seriously freaked out of my wits now, watched my tongue and there is some tremor/twitches irregardless of tension in it (i.e. even when it "rests" at the bottom om my mouth. I also noted that the left side and right side of the bottom om the tongue (visible that is) is quite irregular in size. My right side seemed so much bigger than the left. Could that be atrophy even though I can move my tongue perfectly well?

I suspect if you took a pic and I seen it...I wouldn't think it's atrophy.  Many people have some asymmetry of the tongue.  And the tongue is nearly impossible to keep still.  Shaky tongues mean nothing...and I highly doubt you have a true tongue fasciculation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 04:49:22 AM »

I suspect if you took a pic and I seen it...I wouldn't think it's atrophy.  Many people have some asymmetry of the tongue.  And the tongue is nearly impossible to keep still.  Shaky tongues mean nothing...and I highly doubt you have a true tongue fasciculation.

I donīt realy know what true fasciculations look like, but mine is a quivering of sorts (almost like a nervousness of the tounge itself). The twitches and tremblings arenīt there all the time, so I begin to suspect that I tense up even more when I check for fasciculations. But one thing that bothers me now, in regards to ALS, is that my left arm seems to be quite noticably thinner (aroung both wrists and biceps/triceps). Even my left hand has less muscles in it than the right. Is atrophy a likelly culprit, or could it just be the fact that I am right-handed that plays a major part in all this?
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »

I donīt realy know what true fasciculations look like, but mine is a quivering of sorts (almost like a nervousness of the tounge itself). The twitches and tremblings arenīt there all the time, so I begin to suspect that I tense up even more when I check for fasciculations. But one thing that bothers me now, in regards to ALS, is that my left arm seems to be quite noticably thinner (aroung both wrists and biceps/triceps). Even my left hand has less muscles in it than the right. Is atrophy a likelly culprit, or could it just be the fact that I am right-handed that plays a major part in all this?
  Yes, the entire left side of my body is significantly smaller than my right.  That is normal.  Bodies are not symmetrical.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
Iīm freaking ouy like never before here, when I tried to say Pink Hippopotamus, Yellow Lorry and British Constitution I failed(!) It took me several tries to get them right, even though I could say them perfectly well just a week ago. Could this be Bulbar ALS?
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 09:54:07 PM »
Unlikely.  Bulbar is so so rare in your age group.  Your speech issues are more likely anxiety related.  And let me tell you it must be in the air...today has been one of my worst speaking days.  I had a wedding rehearsal talking to all sorts of new people and I just sounded like a moron.  I couldn't get out words right, mispronouncing left and right today.  What is scarey for me is I do a lot of public speaking, have some huge engagements coming up and my speech is out of control. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: