Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: left sided symptoms only  (Read 210 times)

Offline hoov22

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
left sided symptoms only
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:13:49 AM »
hi there. About 8 or 9 months ago I started feeling weakness, trembling and pain in my left arm. I thought it was all to do with the amount of meetings I had on the phone. My index finger started to shake a bit and then I started to get anxious. I got a head set for my phone meetings and tried to get on top of my anxiety. since then, it has come and gone...but the finger thing has pretty much remained as has the ache in my forearm and shoulder. I was trying to convince myself it was all to do with my back, or my shoulder or my anxiety...but my anxiety really hasn't been as bad as it has been in the past and there were moments in those 8 months when it was bad and not there at all...yet these symptoms were still hanging around. Now it's May and they are still there, in fact they are worse. a couple of months ago I noticed the internal trembling and weakness in my left leg and about a month ago the shaking increased to my whole hand. I have recently been tested for lupus(due to other symptoms with my skin) but that is still in the process and it's looking less likely....I was almost hoping that I had lupus and that was the reason for my symptoms or something. I injured my left wrist wringing out a towel about 6 weeks ago and although it is VERY slowly healing, it is still very sore and I'm only just able to take weight on it. I started getting neck pain in February and with it terrible headaches, fatigue and weird mild dizziness. everything I experience is mild. I can still carry my children easily, walk stairs, exercise etc...but there is a mild shake or tremble or pain. I haven't exercised for a while and did so yesterday to find I am sore only on my left side arm and leg), indicating it is weaker. Today, I am feeling nauseous, had the neck and headache pain in the morning again but it is going. My partner always says its anxiety and yes I'm anxious about it but I am finding it very difficult now to put this whole thing down to anxiety. I am very worried it is something much more...like ALS or even MS. MS used to be my anxiety fear but I have moved away from this. I used to get tingling and twitching on my right side many years ago, but this hasn't presented for some time and my anxiety is more around brain tumours, cancer etc...especially due to the headaches. The thing is, they come and go. Certainly, neck treatment has helped my neck slightly but still, I have had 3 days of headaches and dizziness that are slowly starting to go today. I feel so stupid talking to the Dr about these things as they are so mild and the shaking in particular comes and goes (although the finger shaking seems to be constantly there now but the buzzing comes and goes...almost like for 15 minutes and the will stop and start again a little while later) I'm so worried they are a figment of my imagination. Do I go to the Dr with this? I'm just so embarrassed...if it is anxiety, I will wish I never went...but in true anxiety form, I'm worried if I don't go that it is something else that should be found as soon as possible. Can anyone please give me some advice? Do you think there is something wrong with me that I should follow up?? Can anyone reassure me??? Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: left sided symptoms only
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:24:11 AM »
I had left-sided weakness and clumsiness for a long time.  I saw my doctor, who agreed I was a little awkward on that side, and suggested I see a neurologist.  I did, and he was totally unconcerned, and suggested I work on my anxiety about having a brain tumor instead.  (I know you're worried about other things but that was my fear at the time.)

So in your position I would see your doctor and find out what they think.  It's probably anxiety for you, as it seemed to have been for me, but it's better to know that than just hope that!  Doctors see people for tons of reasons every day; no one's going to think badly of you because you wanted to make sure you were healthy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hoov22

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:36:52 AM »
thanks heaps for your quick reply, Mollyfin. can I ask, has the clumsiness and weakness got any better as you worked on your anxiety? did they say anything about being weaker/clumsier shaking more etc...on one side as being a normal thing...like with aging or something?? Why would it be present if it isn't something awful??
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:46:43 AM »
They didn't really have any explanations, but my neuro exams were normal.  And the symptoms did lessen greatly as my anxiety decreased.  So I don't have a why for you, but it seemed to be correct just the same.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: